Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Help recreating Don's Mix on the spot, not in advance

Pages: 1 8 replies

I'm using Beachbum Berry's recipe for the Zombie, and as you know it calls for Don's Mix. I don't really need to keep another mix around, especially since it doesn't keep on the shelf.

I'm already making simple syrup, and can get grapefruit juice. Anyone try adding those 2 and some cinnamon in place of Don's Mix? Any suggestions on the amount of cinnamon?

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2015-09-16 11:12 ]

Yes, this is doable. It kind of depends how much cinnamon you like in your drink, but you can just make cinnamon simple syrup and mix it with 2 parts white grapefruit. If say you are mixing 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water I would think that 2 teaspoons of cinnamon would be plenty. I like to boil my simple syrup, but in a pinch you can combine the ingredients and shake them together.

I usually don't keep honey mix around, so when a drink calls for it I mix it in a shot glass. Works fine.

If you plan on making Zombies, Don's mix is easy to make so it is worth making. If you are in a pinch, you can easily make a substitute quickly.

S

I am very into DtB recipes and so I use a lot of cinnamon syrup and so I make my Mix on the fly. I'd just suggest making your own or if you don't use it much, get a bottle from BG Reynolds, though his syrup is very strong.

Just adding cinnamon, I am unable to help, sorry.

A

I have used Monin & Routin cinnamon syrup in the past - both are reasonably priced & have a long shelf life.

Get either of them, squeeze your grapefruit, mix the appropriate ratio - voila Dons Mix!

I don't pre mix Dons Mix because I don't use it a lot, I just have the ingredients on hand but separate.

Good suggestions here! Now I feel like an idiot for having made a bottle of Don's Mix and taking up space in my freezer, hahaha...

J

Ground cinnamon tends to "clump" in a drink and add a gritty feel. I would avoid just adding ground cinnamon on the fly. Instead, pre-make cinnamon syrup and just add the appropriate ratio of grapefruit juice on the fly.

Good ideas everyone. Cinnamon syrup it is.

Good to hear! I think Swanky is right in that cinnamon syrup is always very nice to have on hand. It certainly adds an element of mystery to cocktails, and best of all, it's one of the easiest things to make and well worth stocking in your fridge.

H

I have a DaVinci cinnamon syrup that I use when needed. It has a strong cinnamon flavor I like.

Pages: 1 8 replies