Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Kai voted worlds best tiki bar

Pages: 1 5 replies

From today's ft lauderdale sun sentinel, as voted on by the readers of Critiki

http://www.southflorida.com/restaurants-and-bars/dining-food-blog/sf-mai-kai-top-tiki-bar-20150922-story.html

Not just the worlds greatest tiki bar, it's the world greatest bar period!

Interesting, I don't recall voting on this, or even being asked to (I am a Critiki member). I thought that was more of Humu's own rating (http://news.critiki.com/2015/09/19/critikis-ten-best-tiki-bars-in-the-world-2015/). Not that I dispute her listing mind you, it's a great little piece, I just think the Sun Sentinel took some liberties.

J

Humuhumu does add a description of the location and a brief summary of ratings to each location, but the number ratings come from people who rate each location they've visited. There wasn't a request for people to vote, she just used the average rating that already existed on critiki for each location based on the ratings already submitted by users.

:up: What Jen said. The list isn't my own top places (that list looks different, you can see that list in my First Person Tiki symposium). The list is determined by the ratings by Critiki members. Those 50,000+ data points do a pretty darn good job of sifting out the great places! The wording in the article is a little weird, it's not voting, it's rating. But the list was created by Critiki's members, I'm just one small voice in that pool.

Humuhumu,

Just curious: Is this list based on ratings that go all the way back to the beginning of Critiki? (2002, correct?)

I'm all for The Mai-Kai topping the list every year, but here's an idea if you're going to make this an annual announcement:

In addition to the list based on historic numbers, how about a separate list based just on the ratings from the past year. Hopefully you'll get enough people voting to make it useful. Might be cool to see how the newcomers (Latitude 29, Lost Lake, et al.) are doing with their early numbers.

Aloha!

H

Yes, it's an accumulation of ratings going back over time -- I find it takes a good while before the ratings even out into a true reflection of the experience, so I'm hesitant to give too much attention to ratings on places that haven't had that proofing yet. What I do want to do is enhance the ratings system so that it better reflects how the ratings are trending over time.

Pages: 1 5 replies