Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

10/2 UPDATE: DC-area Home Tiki Bar Estate Sale - October 4 - 11am-3pm

Pages: 1 24 replies

S

*** UPDATE - 10/2: A bartender friend of mine contacted me with the exciting news that he's just started building out a full-blown, commercial tiki bar in DC! Truly serendipitous timing. He came by today and bought a number of larger items for the bar, including the birdcage chairs, waterfall, carved bar stools, lights (puffers, fish trap, 4' hula girl, antique glass lamp), Witco table, barrel table & chairs, and the rattan chairs. We're super excited that so many pieces of the Moai Lounge will have a new life in a legit tiki bar in DC, but I wanted to let folks know in case they had their hearts set on any of the above items. There's still a TON of stuff available, including the bar itself, all of our mugs, the bamboo bridge, glassware, thatch, bamboo, matting, tropical futon, art prints, carvings, tabletop hula lamp, lobster trap coffee table, large plastic Moai heads, flaming skulls, books, a bunch of smaller decor items, and more. ***

As I previously posted in the Home Tiki Bar section, my wife and I are selling our house in Germantown, MD. Much to our disappointment, our awesome basement tiki bar, The Moai Lounge, has been a big turnoff to prospective buyers. So we've gotta "de-tikify" the basement, which means we're selling EVERYTHING! We've got a decent collection of mugs, a number of Bosko and Mai Tiki carvings, pufferfish lamps, a couple of hanging birdcage chairs, a Witco table, numerous prints by Shag, Sam Gambino, Doug Horne and others, a small bamboo bridge, TONS of thatch, bamboo and matting...you get the drift. Pics below.

We'll be open for cash (or check) and carry from 11am - 3pm on Sunday, October 4th. Might even whip up a batch of mai tais to help us drown our sorrows and encourage irresponsible spending. We're trying to do this as easily as possible, so we won't be shipping stuff. First come, first served. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Location: The Moai Lounge - 20942 Tewkesbury Terrace in Germantown, MD
Time: 11am (we'll be recovering from an all-day tailgate on Saturday, so please no early birds) - 3pm

Here's hoping we can clear out the Lounge and keep our Poly Pop collection in the Ohana!

[ Edited by: Scottiki 2015-10-02 14:30 ]

E

What a tragedy! So sad to see a beautiful bar disassembled. What items are you willing to ship to sunny southern California?

T

Why not get a POD or two and store your treasures until you settle down at your new home?

Sadly, we don't have room in the new house for another Poly Pop Paradise, so PODS aren't an option for us :(

T

New Tiki-obsessor here out of DC--I'm going to be stopping by! I have no tiki collection yet (other than my tiki books ala Tiki Pop and Beachbum Berry's)--any idea how much cash I should bring? I'm interested in the coffee table primarily, and probably will end up trying to buy any of the smaller goodies that will fit in my small car/can convince my boyfriend won't look nuts in our apartment. So jazzed!

Dang... will be sorry to see it go, but like the Honolulu and other legendary tiki spots, they have a way of living on in other peoples' bars! Best of luck with the sale!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

S

On 2015-09-24 19:49, taysing wrote:
New Tiki-obsessor here out of DC--I'm going to be stopping by! I have no tiki collection yet (other than my tiki books ala Tiki Pop and Beachbum Berry's)--any idea how much cash I should bring? I'm interested in the coffee table primarily, and probably will end up trying to buy any of the smaller goodies that will fit in my small car/can convince my boyfriend won't look nuts in our apartment. So jazzed!

@taysing - hard to say how much cash to bring. We haven't really priced anything, taking more of a "best/reasonable offer" approach.The Witco coffee table...$300? The lobster trap coffee table (glass top) $150? PLENTY of smaller stuff that will be cheaper too.

T

I'm really saddened to hear of the deconstruction of the Moai Lounge - what a cool place you had there Scott (and Jen!). Great luck to you in your new digs though, and I hope you will tiki-on, even without this wonderful place. I am privileged to have been there a couple times. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Thanks GAP! We loved being able to share the Moai Lounge with the local ohana, and it breaks our hearts to have to disassemble it...but sadly selling the house is a major priority and we haven't found the people we thought we would that fell in love with the house and the Lounge. At least this way pieces of it will live on with others who love and appreciate tiki!

The hanging chairs are pretty sweet -
I'm interested if they don't go.

Its a bit of drive for e so let see how it goes after Saturday.

Mahalo

There is SO much going on that day! Grrrr.

I would have begged my husband to road trip from NJ to MD but we'll be flying home from Ohana by the Sea that day. :( Good luck with your sale - you have tons of gorgeous stuff.

T

Why not get a pod and recreate the lounge in the pod - plop it out back and your new place. Easy peasy

S

Glad to see Hurricane Joaquin isn't a tikiphile! The sale is definitely on, this Sunday from 11am - 3pm, come rain or come shine. Looking forward to finding new homes for pieces of The Moai Lounge with the TC ohana.

T

Do you know where/what the name of the Tiki bar your friend is opening in DC?! This is the most exciting news EVER!

S

Sadly I don't know the name yet, and was sworn to secrecy on the precious few details I was told, but I think I can safely say that DC will finally have a proper tiki bar to help ease the pain of a presidential election year. I do know that the proprietors are very familiar with TC, and I have every bit of confidence that they're doing it right. I can guarantee that they'll have at least a few super awesome furnishings :wink:

And I moved to Richmond. At least it's an easy train ride!

[ Edited by: Scottiki 2015-10-02 20:40 ]

I
I-Tiki posted on Sat, Oct 3, 2015 1:44 AM

Wow, great news Scottt!

Hope we will finally have a mid-Atlantic tiki,palace that will make the coasters as green as a Frankie's Fink Bomb!
BTW, I want to get those small war clubs you have to the right of the bar. See you tomorrow.

Lee

T

Those in the DC Area Ohana want to thank SCOTT for allowing us to procure pieces today from his Tiki room. We wish him & his Wife all the best in the future. (-:

S

And now I can share details about where a good portion of the Moai Lounge will end up: Archipelago, a new tiki bar coming to 1201 U St. NW, DC...by the end of the year?!?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2015/10/06/a-tiki-bar-is-coming-to-the-old-islander-space-from-owen-thomson-and-crew/

I'm always excited to hear of a new tiki bar on the East coast! Please keep us updated.

F

That's exciting news. Would have loved this when I used to live in the DC area a while back. Will spread the word to friends back there.
Cheers!
:drink:

Just caught wind of this article outside of TC...figured I'd pop in and see if there was any buzz yet. Not sure when they're actually opening, but it certainly sounds promising...I could definitely use a more local tiki spot. Looking forward to seeing updates as they come!

Thanks for sharing!

Any updates on Archipelago? I haven't been able to find anything recently.

I went to the listed address on U street last week to see the progress as they said they would open this winter.....Unfortunately if looks like nothing at all has been done. :(

Mostly on the subject...

I just heard about a new Hawaiian restaurant in Alexandria, Hula Girl, that looks intriguing:
http://www.hulagirlbarandgrill.com/
(Here's the pineapple-heavy cocktail list: http://hulagirlbarandgrill.com/hula-girl-drink-menu.pdf)

Has anyone visited? I'm looking to go next weekend when I'm in the area anyway.

That place is in Arlington, and literally a 5 minute drive away from my Apartment. I'll try to check it out soon.

Pages: 1 24 replies