Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

All eBayers: BEWARE of this scam

Pages: 1 3 replies

M
mig posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2003 8:27 PM

I don't like being the one who passes around the virus warnings and stuff, but if you use ebay, watch out for some spoofed emails that are going around. I've gotten two this week.

They are VERY genuine-looking eBay emails (that even use eBay graphic assets and link to eBay's pages)... however, they take you to "ebayupdate.net" and prompt you to put in all sorts of good info (bank info, passwords, etc.). Presumably to "verify" your eBay account and keep it open.

However, the emails are NOT actually from eBay, even though they look like it... and ebayupdate.net is NOT an ebay site, it's owned by some con artist who is trying to collect your info (and unencrypted at that.)

This is not a new tactic; but this one is particularly genuine-looking; and I've gotten it twice. So watch out for the ID theft kiddies.

-mig

[ Edited by: mig on 2003-08-04 20:28 ]

T

Check out this post for more info:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4868&forum=5&6

:tiki:

M
mig posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2003 8:58 PM

D'OH! You guys are WAY ahead of me! Ordinarily I'd delete my post then, but in this case, I'll leave it because it may help prevent problems for someone else.

dang!
mig

WOW MIG, thanks a lot for the post. I have gotten two of these emails too. One was saying that I needed to update my ebay billing info at "their" site or my ebay account would be held. I got another email from them a few days later saying that my account has problems again. The emails looked so realistic. What got me was the ebayupdate.net website they want you to go to. It just seemed fishy to me. Anyway, after reading your post here, it seems that it is in fact a hoax. Thanks again! Hopefully these mutha fu$#%$s will get theirs

Pages: 1 3 replies