Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

hapa-haole music fest in Hawaii

Pages: 1 3 replies

Here's a great article from the Honolulu Advertiser about a tribute to Hapa-Haole music at the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Aug/01/en/en05a.html

Also, I scored this album yesterday for 35 cents. The photo was taken at Don the Beachcomber's in Hollywood. Looks like a Pi-Yi and a Zombie to me. The vinyl is mint.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-05 16:25 ]

T

Good article KailuaG,

I love Hapa Haole music and it's the only brand we play. It is much malaligned as silly, cutesy music.

But most of the tunes we play are instrumental island favorites enjoyed more by the locals.

We do do Little Grass Shack and Little Brown Gal, but most are tunes such as Ia Ora Na Tahiti, Honolulu Hula and Ainahau. They were fine and talented musicians back then. I've learned alot about arrangements and playing since undertaking my new love...

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2003 5:33 PM

You can listen to Harry's broadcast on Sundays online here. I have contacted him about bands to play at Hukilau, but the Makaha Sons he suggested are just too soft and mushy for us.

Bong: Glad to hear you're all about Hapa-Haole style. That's the best. Wish I could be in SC this weekend for Intn'l Tiki Day to hear the music (and drink) with the Hoity Toity.
Swanky: I know what you mean about the Mushiness. In fact, I've kind of rejected any Hawaiian music that isn't at least 30 years old. Seems like the Hawaiian music scene got really pretentious and over serious in the 70's, and never got over it.
Is there something I'm missing here?

Pages: 1 3 replies