Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki as Religion?

Pages: 1 23 replies

While I'm posting controversial topics, I might as well throw in Religion. There is a lot of speculation that in a hundred years, Elvis will be an official religion (like he isn't already), with lifestyle guidelines, commandments (like "Don't Be Cruel" "Follow That Dream" "Return to Sender" and "Do the Clam") and rituals. Myself, when pressed, often say that I worship the Holy Trinity of Frank, Dino and Sammy, half-jokingly (the other half is still up in the air).

So is Tiki headed that way? Dig it: we already have common lingo, attire, rituals, and lifestyles, and many of us wear pagan idols around our necks on a regular basis, signaling to the world our allegiance to our "gods." In its pure form, Tiki IS a religious symbol, at least to many Polynesians. Personally, I think it would make a great "whitewashed" religion too - as long as the doctrine remains un-written. That formality always leads to dissent and chaos within the ranks. Basically we all believe in the basic principals of Freedom and Pleasure. And the tiki bar is our church!

All hail Tiki!

Please refer to subsequent posts made regarding your political thread for an understanding of our decorum regarding these topics.

Is this Kokomo Bar & Grill under a new name?

M

Hey Brah,
It's time for a reality check. It's also time to dry out.

Peace

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-06 12:21 ]

This is going to sound really, really rude and may be way off base, but it seems that more often than not, a new member decides to start a discussion about "tiki" politics and religion, you know, like if you were sitting around a bar with your friends. Is it because you want to show everyone how intelligent you are? Who cares? And do you honestly think you're the first person to bring it up? If you really want to know, USE THE SEARCH ENGINE!!!!!
It doesn't take much intelligence to realize that political and religious discussions usually end up pissing people off. And I have a big problem with people who post stuff here just to see how many people they can piss off.

So please people, don't take the bait. Leave both of these topics alone. Pau.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-08-06 12:23 ]

On 2003-08-06 12:11, Monkeyman wrote:
Is this Kokomo Bar & Grill under a new name?

Aqua Zombie Liquor & Bistro

K

Great post Aqua. I think religion is entertainment for a lot of people, and for those of us without religion, something with all of the detail and richness and ritual of tiki can be like a religious experience, especially when you mix in alcohol and other less legal drugs.
Personally, I find great joy in the obvious undercurrent of mid century tiki culture making the gods into vessels for our enjoyment. I get enjoyment out of making fun of religion, and religious people need unbelievers in order to feel special, so I'm happy to oblige, and happy that my roomfull of pagan idols can assist. A Tiki Room is a den of iniquity, it's a monument to hedonism, the one true faith!

http://deus.org

While I'm posting controversial topics, I might as well throw in Religion. There is a lot of speculation that in a hundred years, Elvis will be an official religion (like he isn't already), with lifestyle guidelines, commandments (like "Don't Be Cruel" "Follow That Dream" "Return to Sender" and "Do the Clam") and rituals. Myself, when pressed, often say that I worship the Holy Trinity of Frank, Dino and Sammy, half-jokingly (the other half is still up in the air).

So is Tiki headed that way? Dig it: we already have common lingo, attire, rituals, and lifestyles, and many of us wear pagan idols around our necks on a regular basis, signaling to the world our allegiance to our "gods." In its pure form, Tiki IS a religious symbol, at least to many Polynesians. Personally, I think it would make a great "whitewashed" religion too - as long as the doctrine remains un-written. That formality always leads to dissent and chaos within the ranks. Basically we all believe in the basic principals of Freedom and Pleasure. And the tiki bar is our church!

T

(I think Kahukini was trolling for himself by registering as AquaZombie)

K

I think you're a conservative Tiki-Bong based on a previous post or two, but I'm not sure if I remember correctly (I'm bad about paying attention to names). IF you are, I think your accusation is hilarious, because it backs up another observation I made here today - that conservatives like to see good and evil, black and white, in fact that's all they can see. Something sinister is going on with this thread, isn't it Bong? Where's the demon, let's slay it! Where's the witch, let's burn it! Give me a break.

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-08-06 13:29 ]

T

Wow! You are very intelligent. I sure would guess someone with a tag name of "Bong", surfs, and plays steel guitar would be an arch conservative!

Unlike the rest of the crap on this thread, here is a question worthy of deep pondering. Are these women the same person?

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-06 13:57 ]

K

Well that's why I remembered you made rather odd comments bong. I don't pay attention to names, but it did catch my eye when somewhere in "Beyond Tiki" someone named mr. "bong" was talking conservative.

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-08-06 14:00 ]

UB

On 2003-08-06 13:51, Kailuageoff wrote:
Unlike the rest of the crap on this thread, here is a question worthy of deep pondering. Are these women the same person?

That's my old girl friend from TV land, Gilliagan's Island - Tina Louise (Ginger)Same girl.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-08-06 14:40 ]

MC

Are these women the same person?

hum...do you have the dates for these images?

yes, tiki is a religion--it's what a pray for while I'm at work!

T

"While I'm posting controversial topics, I might as well throw in Religion."

Oh, please don't.

And I do understant that there are some conservative tiki central members that have bongs, but that they got them from Brooks Brothers Home Collections catalog.

TB

T

Unga,

Your bottom picture looks like Sherilyn Fenn (spelling???).

T "Twin Peaks" B

Yeah, I think it's Ginger too. I found the black & white of Tina on an ebay auction and thought it looked like the "Movie Star" on the album cover. She's a girl worth worshiping (just to stay on topic).

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2003 4:12 PM

There already are religions on the islands. Asking this question is niave at best. Go search for Huna or other island religions.

Tiki today is less of a religion but more of a Cargo-cult, our primative home bars the constructed to bring the "cargo" of wide spread tikidom once again.

I meant this post as a joke. I thought the allusion to Elvis's "Commandments" would've made that obvious. I'm not the one who needs to lighten up. Peace, and aloha.

T

On 2003-08-06 17:26, AquaZombie wrote:
I'm not the one who needs to lighten up. Peace, and aloha.

Those 2 statements seem a bit contradictory don't they!

S

Everyone has a right to their own beliefs.

I believe I'll have another drink!

My point exactly.

Hey Bong: I said "lighten up," not "light up"! I know not what "contradiction" you refer to, but no matter, based on the somewhat shrill responses I accidentally elicited here, I'm "locking" this topic for myself.

Seriously, I've enjoyed everyone's posts on these forums, whether I agree with them or not - quite an intelligent bunch, as I rightly surmised - but I am a bit dismayed and puzzled by the fact that one of my first new topics ("Politics of Tiki") has already been locked due to rapidly escalating hostilities, and this one quickly descended into accusations from total strangers challenging my intelligence and motives, which I could take as patronizing and insulting. But in the spirit of diplomacy, and since I started this anyway, inadvertently or not, I won't.

Geez , did I really need to post a silly "smiley face'" icon on a post about "tiki religion" to denote its irreverent (and ultimately irrelevant) intentions??? I thought 1) if it's an old topic no one will respond, or just send me to the old link covering the subject or 2) I'd get similarly off-kilter responses like "and booze is the blood of our Savior" or whatever.

I guess I didn't fully consider the feelings of posters who might actually be religious and might take offense at my brand of humor. I apologize.

In any case: my bad. I know it's possible to discuss both politics and religion with civility and respectful restraint - either seriously or casually - but I keep forgetting that in this anonymous conversational context, comments are easily misconstrued. Again, sorry I even broached the subject.

I'll keep it simple from now on and totally avoid any buzzwords even remotely touchy, if possible.

Bottoms up, you sinners, you.

(Whoa!, that's a joke. Unless, of course, you ARE a sinner, and proud of it....)

I just heard on the evening news sounding off on the TV behind me that Terminator Arnie S. is indeed running for Cal Governor in the "totally" BS recall, so I gotta get outta here quick or else I'll start typing my reaction (which you can read anyway, if interested, in my current column at http://www.thrillville.net - I always welcome feedback there, too.)

Whew, what a world! Thank God (or Whoever) for exotic cocktails!!! I'm on my way to the bar now to worship...and no, in this case, I'm not kidding.

M
mig posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 1:51 PM

Okay, I'm going to say only one little thing here, and then I am going to lock this topic. Not that I don't think that there can be any intelligent responses to this thread; or that I do or don't like any of the posters; but I think that it's probably in all of our best interest to just move on and... play nice.

What I would like to say here is this:

I know AquaZombie quite well, and he is who he is, and hasn't been on this board under any different identities. He is indeed a newer member to this board; but that doesn't mean that he hasn't been around the tiki scene for a VERY long time. In fact, he has done a LOT for our cause over the years, and his knowledge is considerable.

So without sounding any more like a Friendster testimonial, he ROCKS, and let's all play nice, and avoid forming quick opinions about ANYBODY, on this board or off.

-mig

Pages: 1 23 replies