Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Football Season

Pages: 1 43 replies

T

Okay so football season is upon us and being a fan of this sport I wanted to see if anyone has projections NOW (and not when we are halfway into the season) as to who is going to take it all. Or should I wait and ask this question when pre-season is over with.

Like every year as a Saints fan (heavy sigh!!!!) I start out upbeat and by the end I am in denial of another disasterous finish and require lots of comforting.

Is there a way to make this fun (I don't mean money as I would rather spend whatever extra I have on a couple of mugs/menu's I have my eye on).

S

You are only a true Saints fan if you have realized that, in actuality, you are an Aint's Fan!

(speaking as a LA native, of course - no one else better dis the Aint's!)

T

I never cared for sports as I hate 'watching' and would rather be 'doing'.

T

What is this "Foot Ball" you speak of?

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2003 8:16 PM

Pro football is boring. College is the sport. UT will not go far this year with Casey Clausen at the helm.

The San Diego Chargers will take it all! Go Bolts!!

The Kansas City Chiefs will rule the football universe as they will defeat the Rams in the Super Bowl! Drive to Vegas right now, sell a kidney and bet all proceeds on the Chiefs!! The most Tiki team in the NFL.

S

Like The Terminator, the Raiders will "be back" and this time we will win the Superbowl!

(P.S. The onslaught of Raider hater comments is anticipated).

T

On 2003-08-06 19:23, tikifish wrote:
What is this "Foot Ball" you speak of?

It's like the rest of the world's soccer but with fewer brain cells required. Oh, and only 10% of the game has any action - the rest is standing around and commercials.

Go WORLD CHAMPION Tampa Bay Bucs! -- even though pirates are officially uncool now.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-07 11:05 ]

M

On 2003-08-07 10:42, stentiki wrote:
Like The Terminator, the Raiders will "be back" and this time we will win the Superbowl!

(P.S. The onslaught of Raider hater comments is anticipated).

I'll be in the seats of blustery Candlestick Park on August 14th to watch our mighty 49ers deliver a humiliating pounding to the Raider Nation. Well, it is only preseason.

Brave of you to be Saints and Chiefs fans. But thanks to the beauty of salary cap and free agency, anything is possible. Even the Chargers. It's made football so much more interesting. No more Cowboy/Packer/(sniff)49er dynasties!

I have to disagree with tiki-riviera about the Chiefs being the most Tiki team in the NFL. That title most certainly belongs to the NY Giants, home of Tiki Barber!!

Aw, Jab. Football is most definitely not a brainless game. Check out our copy of the very thick official NFL rule book when you come over. It's a mostly slow, very strategic game. The energy is in compact bursts but very intense. It doesn't really compare that well to soccer, which is a beautiful game.

Now Rugby: That's pure genius!

T
thejab posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 1:10 PM

On 2003-08-07 12:59, martiki6 wrote:
Aw, Jab. Football is most definitely not a brainless game. Check out our copy of the very thick official NFL rule book when you come over.

I mainly was trying to stir up controversy now that AquaZombie has stopped. I admit I'm not a football fan but I'll agree that soccer is thrilling to watch.

T

I know what football is, Jab! I was being a smart-arse.

I think my alma mater will have a hard time winning any football games this season. :lol:

T
thejab posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 2:20 PM

On 2003-08-07 13:42, tikifish wrote:
I know what football is, Jab! I was being a smart-arse.

That makes two of us!

chiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefschiefs

Jets!!

T

I really expected to see responses only for Raiders and Buc's.

Glad to see that there are some differing opinions.

Why I love football. Because it's about raging testosterone, beer, eating chili on a cold rainy day, chips and salsa and guacamole, more beer, funny commercials, stupid commercials, and last but not least a release for my anger. It's also entertainment. Bring it on, bring it on. Go Bolts!!

S

Hey! Hey! Tampa Bay the Bucs are here and ready to play!

I don't know a whole lot about football teams, but I can tell you that whenever I'm in an almost-fatal traffic encounter with a really bad driver, more often than not there is a "Raiders" sticker on the car? Why is this?

by the way, I only enjoy watching football if the Steelers are playing, but it's hard to say why...

J

Fuck football, basketball, baseball, hockey, college football, college basketball, March Madness, beer drinking/hell raising asshole fans, rising ticket prices, tailgate parties, team merchandising, greedy team owners, Nike, corporate named multi-million dollar stadiums ,etc. ALL THAT SHIT!!!

Tiki_Bong often says kill your television - and I couldn't agree more when it comes to wasting your time watching stupid ass millionaires playing children's playground games!

Just my 2 cents!

NINERS, BABY!!!!

M

The Raiders put up a valiant fight last Thursday against our Niners, but in the end, our sixth stringers kicked their sixth strigers asses. It was a fun game to be at, and the fights in the stands were entertaining as well. (No doubt started by the Raider Nation). In fact, the Raiders might consider signing some members of the Nation- they're more threatening than some of their players.

The three best reasons to hate the Raiders:

1. The fans
  2. Al Davis
  3. The fans AND Al Davis

Once again ...

NINERS, BABY!!!

O

TOny turns arround yet another defense and takes the colts to the next level. Tony Dungy one of the best defensive minded coaches ever.

Looks like Tiki riviera is right on the money so far. The Chiefs are 7-0? Kickin' ass!!

S

I agree with Jungletrader that college is way more exciting, but I never much paid attention to it until I ended up sorta between the hometowns of U of Oregon and Oregon State. Huge Rivals. In recent years both schools have gone from complete embarassments to actually having respectable and exciting teams to watch. Go Ducks! Go Beavers!
Seattle is actually having a winning season for the first time in... ever!! And ex-Duck quarterback, soon to be household name, Joey Harrington is doing a fine job for Detroit. I watch the Lions when I get the chance just to see Joey. Tat guy pulled some unbelievable plays while at Oregon. Keep an eye on him.
When I actually played ball I never watched it. Couldn't sit still that long. Now I enjoy the occaisional good game. Nothing wrong with that you AntiSportites.

On 2003-08-10 10:20, Unga Bunga wrote:
Jets!!

Fuckin Jets.

On 2003-08-14 16:29, dangergirl299 wrote:
I don't know a whole lot about football teams, but I can tell you that whenever I'm in an almost-fatal traffic encounter with a really bad driver, more often than not there is a "Raiders" sticker on the car? Why is this?

This is because you don't live in San Diego, if you did you'd see that all the bad drivers have "STAR" (Mellow rock & love songs radio station KYSR) stickers on their cars. :D

But yeah, there's a lotta geeks with giant, full window Raiders stickers on their trucks driving around North County. I know the Bolts suck this year, but c'mon...

Hey Jungletrader,

I didn't want to toot my own horn, so thanks for doing it for me!

Chiefs 8-0
Chiefs 8-0
Chiefs 8-0
Chiefs 8-0
Chiefs 8-0

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

E

College football all the way for me! Any Hoity Toity Trojans or Bruins in here?

Love,
a WSU Coug--#1 in the Pac10 :)

Hey Exoticat,

I went to WSU for one year and i'm a big coug
fan! Are you going to the game Sat.?

H

Bow down to Washington.

At a place I used to work, there was a HUGE rivalry between the Cougs & Huskies. Us Husky fans well outnumbered the poor Cougs. After we won the Apple Cup one year, the most ornery Coug's office was festooned with purple & gold, and the top part of his door was blocked so he had to stoop over to get in -- it wasn't until he was inside his office that he turned around and read "BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON" over the doorway.

When were you guys at WSU? My cousin played for the UW in the late 80s/early 90s.

TB

Well the Chargers wont be in the superbowl, damn its hard to be charger fan.

I have it on good authority that it will be revealed the entire NFL line-up is composed of aliens when special sunglasses are mistakenly given out during the 13th Redskins game.

Humuhumu ~ I have a good friend who is a Husky and one who is a Bruin and the bantering with them begins as soon as August comes around.

The Husky was doing some remodeling work in the kitchen last December and it wasn't quite done as I had to head out Pasadena for the Rose Bowl. So he had to come over while I was gone. I left him a WSU Rose Bowl shirt as a good Coug should do! ha ha

Late 70's/early 80's. In musical terms: The Cars, Michael Jackson, Bad Company, Rick James and the Rolling Stones...

My brother graduated from WSU and his wife from UW. I don't believe in mixed marriages.

football!
football!
football!

the object of which bears an uncanny resemblence to a coconut...

Sweet Mother of Mary the Chargers could
GO
ALL
THE
WAY!!

I was there when they kicked Denver's ass.
Best Christmas present ever.

GO CHARGERS!

On 2009-01-04 12:28, Unga Bunga wrote:
I was there when they kicked Denver's ass.
Best Christmas present ever.

GO CHARGERS!

And you didn't invite me? Hope you paid 100 dollah for parking.

Pages: 1 43 replies