Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

five points car wash, Whittier ca

Pages: 1 5 replies

Sad to say there’s a for lease sign at the vacant “Googie car wash just east of Oceanic Arts. Sorry I couldn’t figure out how to post the pic from Google maps.
I’ve edited this post to add some pix taken this afternoon.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-11-04 20:41 ]

FM

Any update on this? I went to OA a couple of months ago but didn't see any change at the car wash.

Hey Fez, As of dis morning it’s zackly the same.
Cheers

Hopefully, it won't get torn down to make way for a strip mall. I lived about 4 blocks from here when I was in junior high back in the early 70s. Used to go roller skating at the now-closed Skate City next to OA, but had no idea OA was even there until 20 years later.

Is Jack's Salad Bowl still around? That was another Googie landmark I have fond memories of.

Hey Mr. B H.
Jack’s is alive and well about a half mile east of the car wash on the north side of Whittier blvd. They have dropped the "Salad Bowl” from their name but they’ve recently redone the interior in a sorta MCM style.The cool Googie sign out front is still there. I’l try to post a pic soon.
Cheers
Btw. Jack’s is one of my favorite breakfast spots

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-02-14 23:48 ]

On 2016-02-14 11:09, MrBaliHai wrote:
Hopefully, it won't get torn down to make way for a strip mall. I lived about 4 blocks from here when I was in junior high back in the early 70s. Used to go roller skating at the now-closed Skate City next to OA, but had no idea OA was even there until 20 years later.

Is Jack's Salad Bowl still around? That was another Googie landmark I have fond memories of.

Hey Mr Bali,
I was wrong about Jack’s Salad Bowl. It was torn down about 10 years ago. Jack’s had about 3 restaurants in Whittier at one time. The only one left is approx. 1/2 mile west of Painter on the north side of Whittier Bl. Here is a pic of their sign, a couple of the recently remodeled interior and I could not omit a pic of one of those iconic 50’s revolving pie display cases.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-03-04 21:33 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies