Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

New Shasta Tiki flavors

Pages: 1 11 replies

Has anyone seen Shastas 4 new fruit flavored sodas? They are calling them they're tiki flavors.

T

Here's a review I read recently of Shasta's tiki punch:

"Shasta, the makers of soda pop for people who can't afford real soda pop, have been hitting the town as of late with a new flavor and a spirited twist. Called 'Tiki Punch,' this Easter Island favorite boasts a brave amount of carbonation and a healthy lack of caffeine. Possibly the worst tasting shit I've ever put to my lips, the 12-packs are still worth buying because there's a cool Trader Vic's Tiki God tumbler chilling out on the box. I got the case for a mere two bucks, because companies need to balance out terrible soda with attractive prices.

You really can't drink it, and I'm being completely serious. It may be an acquired taste, but I'm not prepared for the tormenting process involved in acquiring this particular taste. Bad, real bad. Picture Kool-Aid mixed with seltzer, cough syrup, battery acid, and possibly frogs. The box points out that the beverage contains absolutely no fruit juice whatsoever, which seems like an odd thing to promote so vividly. I guess they banked on people being too mesmerized by the angelic Tiki head to notice anything else. This works to a degree, but not even a Moai statue can save your throat from this most charged example of liquid Hell."

Other flavors:
Tiki Blue
Tiki Mist
Tiki Orange Mango

mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm

I too have a case which was brought all the way to Canada through the US border. It is very sweet, no punch flavor at all. But I like the can! As usual what is beautiful on the outside can be lacking on the inside. I wore out my finger voting for this??

S

I have sent Shasta numerous emails begging for sugarless versions of their Tiki drinks, and they have yet to make any available. When they do, I can comment on the quality of the product - till then, I just get a kick out of the cans!

Bad, real bad. Picture Kool-Aid mixed with seltzer, cough syrup, battery acid, and possibly frogs. The box points out that the beverage contains absolutely no fruit juice whatsoever,

...a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike fruit juice...

3 liter bottles at Big Lots, 99 cents...

T

These look interesting to buy however like everyone else I probably wouldn't drink them. Cool collectible to keep with your tiki collection though. Thanks for showing us the pictures!

T

"Frogs," Cruzin'? "Hell?" LOL! Must be pretty bad. Incredible can, though! Thanks for the pics.

Must....locate.......

~Tex

E
Erika posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2003 11:05 AM

Tiki Punch is OK for a mixed-fruit soda. Definitely not as bad as that quoted review says! Though it is ultra sweet. To me, it tastes like the main flavors are maraschino/cherry and pineapple. No amphibian flavor at all.

I e-mailed the Shasta company to ask what Tiki Blue and Tiki Mist are (Tiki Orange Mango I can guess), but never heard back. I also asked for them at my nearest grocery store (where Tiki Punch is on sale for 10 cents a can!), but I don't have high hopes that they'll add those to their next Shasta order. We'll see. . . .

Sorry CT...Got to disagree,I dont think its as bad as you describe. I love Tiki Punch ice cold... put a can in the freezer to get it slushy...ahhh! P.S. But I like Coors lite and Trader Vic's mai tai mix too, though.

"Shasta, the makers of soda pop for people who can't afford real soda pop..."

I %Like% Shasta! Who else makes pineapple & Mango sodas?

My Great Gran'ma used to buy it for me as a kid 'cause I liked all those too-sweet tropical flavors, and now they remind me of my li'l Nona...

I really like the Tiki Punch. Of course I do make a slight modification: take 1 tiki tumbler, fill with ice, fill with any version of Tiki Punch, walk over to kitchen sink, completely empty tiki tumbler except for ice, fill with 1 shot light rum, 1 shot dark rum, juice of 1 lime, half shot simple syrup, half shot orgeat, 3/4 shot Triple Sec.

Tastes great, doesn't it!

Pages: 1 11 replies