Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Great Big Hawaiian Dick to NBC....!

Pages: 1 9 replies

So, after working on this for well over a year, we've sold HAWAIIAN DICK to NBC, co-produced by Johnny Knoxville, who's been a supporter of bringing HD to the screen for a decade.

Super excited.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3323115/Johnny-Knoxville-set-bring-long-sought-adaptation-Hawaiian-Dick-comic-books-NBC-one-hour-comedy-action-series.html

Tiki TV!

Mahalo!

• BCM

[ Edited by: Hawaiian Dick 2018-02-15 05:36 ]

Congratulations! Looking forward!

Tremendous!

bump

Does anyone have any updates on how this turned out? The hawaiiandick.com site has expired, and there is no mention of any TV activity in the Wikipedia entry for the comic series. So it appears this got shelved at some point. There must be some more backstory than what I've found on the web. There are lots of reports from back in 2015 when this was being developed and considered by NBC. From "splitsider.com:"

NBC has put a new comedy into development from executive producer Johnny Knoxville. According to Variety, the network is working on an hourlong series based on the Hawaiian Dick graphic novels by B. Clay Moore and Steven Griffin. Written by Paul Lovett and David Elliott (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra), the series will center on “a Stateside cop named Byrd who is exiled to Hawaii and finds himself immersed in a dark and dangerous paradise. Tropical noir mixes with procedural elements, resulting in both humor and the supernatural.”

On 2016-12-26 05:32, AceExplorer wrote:
Does anyone have any updates on how this turned out? The hawaiiandick.com site has expired, and there is no mention of any TV activity in the Wikipedia entry for the comic series. So it appears this got shelved at some point. There must be some more backstory than what I've found on the web. There are lots of reports from back in 2015 when this was being developed and considered by NBC. From "splitsider.com:"

NBC has put a new comedy into development from executive producer Johnny Knoxville. According to Variety, the network is working on an hourlong series based on the Hawaiian Dick graphic novels by B. Clay Moore and Steven Griffin. Written by Paul Lovett and David Elliott (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra), the series will center on “a Stateside cop named Byrd who is exiled to Hawaii and finds himself immersed in a dark and dangerous paradise. Tropical noir mixes with procedural elements, resulting in both humor and the supernatural.”

Over a year later...

I just saw your note on this!

NBC renewed the option last year (with an eye toward NBCUniversal producing the show), and we ended up retooling the pitch for cable/streaming cable, and are currently in the process of working toward getting the show to air.

New writers and a heavy hitter show runner.

Also, for the first time ever, they committed to the period (fifties) setting. The pitch is exactly what I've always wanted it to be, so fingers crossed it lands. Should have a better idea very shortly!

Mahalo!
-BCM

No worries, and thanks for the reply! That's great news, and I hope your project sees production in the very near future.

Re-read some of this thread with great interest to get back up to speed. I actually know a stateside former cop named Byrd, but he resides and works here with me in Florida.

Please keep us posted. The more we know, the more we can help support the show.

Thanks for the update! I'd think the period setting would be an easier sell in the aftermath of Mad Men, but then again, Agent Carter didn't live up to expectations, so that might've undercut anything pitched outside of "modern contemporary."

I wasn't aware of the show option until I saw this thread this morning, and before I got to your latest update, I figured you'd gotten a pilot that wasn't ordered for series. Back when I was a kid, networks would always burn those off during the summer, so we got to see some weird, terrible, and occasionally pretty good one-offs. That hasn't been the case for decades, so most pilots simply vanish without so much as a whimper. Looks like the new streaming frontier is changing that a little. Good luck with your show, and please update us when you have any additional information you're allowed to share!

T

I thought NBC just got rid of a Great Big Dick.

On 2018-02-15 14:30, tikiskip wrote:
I thought NBC just got rid of a Great Big Dick.

Would that make this the biggest case of prime time Dick replacement since Bewitched?

Pages: 1 9 replies