Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Oceanic animal art

Pages: 1 6 replies

I'm looking for examples of South Seas art that represents animals, of any kind. Can anybody help out? Posting, or better yet emailing, pics would be most appreciated.

Paupua New Guinea is about your only bet for any variety with birds, crocodiles, fish, bats, and snakes incorporated into many of their ancestral and mythological figures, unless you want Maori dog fetishes, or any of hundreds of pig fetishes and pig hammer pommels from all over the islands. Most all of the mammals on these islands are feral if there are any. Interesting fact for you, Jade...did you know that there are absolutely no snakes indigenous to the island of New Zealand? :)

I'll dig for a few pics.

Interesting fact for you, Jade...did you know that there are absolutely no snakes indigenous to the island of New Zealand? :)

That's because they're all in Australia, waiting to take a crack at Steve Irwin.
Thanks BK, I was hoping you'd have something for me.

PJ:
No snakes -- indigenous or no -- in Hawaii either cause the Mongoose imported from India kills em all. Actually, they were imported to kill all the rats that would come off the ships, but they also kill snakes.

Hawaiian Art often shows sea turtles. I think a sea turtle shell probably belongs in every self-respecting tiki bar. There are some very nice carved sea turtles imported from Indonesia and sold at Shell World in the Florida Keys. The big ones go for about $85.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-07 10:39 ]

No snakes -- indigenous or no -- in Hawaii either ...

Yeah, I know. Still didn't use a potty in the dark there.

Now, don't get me wrong, I actually like and respect snakes. I just don't want one biting me on the butt because it got tinkled on!

Maybe that's why it's called paradise....

Pages: 1 6 replies