Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

1-800-TKS4FSH

Pages: 1 7 replies

Mobile phone users worldwide will soon be able to dial-a-dolphin if a scheme to record their underwater conversations proves a success. Scientists at a dolphin sanctuary off the west coast of Ireland have teamed up with British mobile telecoms giant Vodafone to transmit the clicking and whistling sounds of bottlenose dolphins.

“In theory you could phone up and listen to dolphins while sitting in a traffic jam in Dublin,” said marine biologist Simon Berrow, of the Shannon Dolphin and Wildlife Foundation, based in Kilrush, County Clare.

As well as its use as a possible stress reliever, the project could also lead to a greater understanding of the life of dolphins and could prove helpful to dolphin-watchers who will be able to check if the creatures are in the Shannon estuary before starting out from shore.

The aim is to install underwater microphones in the estuary, the only place in Ireland where dolphins are resident all year round.

One difficulty is that dolphins use a wide frequency band when they communicate, of which humans can hear only a fraction. “The Shannon is also a tough environment in that we have to cope with strong currents and the swell coming in from the Atlantic,” Berrow said.

On 2003-08-07 11:15, purple jade wrote:
One difficulty is that dolphins use a wide frequency band when they communicate, of which humans can hear only a fraction

That and the little mo fo's have potty mouths!

E

"Fish....more...must have more fish...send fish...we want more fish...give fish...we will have the fish...fish now..."

em

Whenever I have a date that's not going well and need to relieve some stress of the moment, I get on my Vodaphone, and give my friend Ripper a call.

http://www.duncecapjokes.com/othermedia/dolphin/dolphin.avi

T

Emspace, I am crying with laughter over your post....

Anyone ever see that animal psychic lady on TV who claims to tell you what your petr is thinking? Mr. Tikifish and I joke that we should get her over to tell us what our goldfish are thinking - we figure it's "Pellets... want... more... pellets... please.... pellets"

"Pellets... want... more... pellets... please.... pellets"

This reminds me of the "Mine?..Mine?..Mine? Mine?" seagulls in Nemo.

whereyat purple jade?
I once dreamed I heard fish singing..have had trouble eating them ever since, but starving artists must do what dey must do.

E

On 2003-08-07 12:18, tikifish wrote:
Emspace, I am crying with laughter over your post....

Anyone ever see that animal psychic lady on TV who claims to tell you what your petr is thinking? Mr. Tikifish and I joke that we should get her over to tell us what our goldfish are thinking - we figure it's "Pellets... want... more... pellets... please.... pellets"

Sorry I missed this lovely reply Tikifish! Yep, I've seen the Pet Psychic...a whackjob in the classic British Eccentric mode. Getting filthy rich too, the old cow.

My personal envy-meter is redlining!

:), em

Pages: 1 7 replies