Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Tiki-Mug kickstarter

Pages: 1 8 replies

Howdy!

I'm not sure if this info has been posted yet but the guys at Screen Novelties (I'm one of them!) has started a new stop motion film! The Witchdoctor is a short film with huge influences from Disneyland dark rides, old school special effects and of course tiki & all things oceanic! One of our rewards is an official Screen Novelties tiki mug! Tiki Diablo is giving us a hand with it... whoopee!

thanks guys, I know it's kinda cheeky topmost stuff about myself but... it's for a good cause! :) You can check out some test animation the link below.

Cheers!
Mark

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/473450133/the-witchdoctor

Here is where I lay down a few facts, First off, Witch Doctors have nothing to do with Tiki or anything oceanic
The first use of the term "Witch Doctor" was in 1718 in Europe and was referring to a set of quacks,
who pretend to cure diseases inflicted by the devil.

The second being your use of the "African Witch Doctor" and refers to African shamans (i.e. medicine men)
originating in African colonial literature in a 1836 book by Robert Montgomery Martin.

So not Tiki at all, but your project sounds like a bit of fun, so best of luck.

Hiya!

Thanks for your input! Tiki, Witchdocotors, black light, Disneyland, animation, voodoo... It's all getting squashed together and used as inspirations to make this film. It's to be taken as a modern interpretation of tiki. We're just following in the footsteps of the "kitschyfacation" of all things tiki, oceanic and everything else that can be construed as exotic.

That said, we have the utmost respect for the purists. Their knowledge and dedication is appreciated and admired. :)

Thanks again and thank you for the well wishes. Cheers!

[ Edited by: hoolaboola 2015-11-20 10:00 ]

[ Edited by: hoolaboola 2015-11-20 12:13 ]

H

Love your project, just watched the short video. Love the tiki influence and the old vibe to it. Best of luck. Oops almost forgot, looking forward to the Tiki Diablo mug.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2015-11-20 11:49 ]

I'm a Kickstarter supporter! Can't wait to see the short whilst sipping a Beachbum Witch Doctor cocktail (from Potions of the Caribbean!) from my Tiki Diablo mug!

G

As a rabid, crazy animation fan AND a tikiphile, this is amazing to me! I just played Mysterious Mose at my last Halloween movie night. You guys are great!

With only 5 days left in your Kickstarter, if you don't hit your number, what will you do??

I dig it. The mug and other swag are a bit too rich for me but I contributed in a small way hoping you reach your goal.

B

Just wanted to thank you all for your support and for spreading the word-- every little bit helps. The Screen Novelties guys are friends and I know how much this project means to them. Thank you again for supporting stop-motion!

B

Just a heads-up with 5 hours left. They reached their goal and have added a free set of 10 custom swizzle sticks as a stretch goal (which they also just reached). Anyone who pledged $50 or more (for a physical reward) gets them. Thanks again for supporting this worthy project and helping to bring it to life!

[ Edited by: Bumboo 2015-12-15 12:40 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies