Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Events, Happenings, or Suggestions for SF and Marin September 12, 13, 14, 15?

Pages: 1 8 replies

C

I apologize if th is is not the place to post this, but any clues or suggestions during my very short trip?

M

Hey Casey-

We'll make something happen. Remind us again as it gets closer. I'd love to have you over for a drink at the Foggy Grotto- after the hospitality you've shown us! And we should certainly get a group over to Vic's and/or The Tonga Room.

See you soon!

M
mig posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2003 12:21 PM

I second that! Casey, we will MAKE it happen. You've got a good crew up here waiting for you!

-mig

T

Ever heard of The Tourist Club? It's a nice place I discovered a few years ago in the Marin hills below Mt Tam. It's a seemingly authentic, multi-storied Swiss mountain chalet that serves some good European beers and has a fantastic huge deck that looks out across the valley. You can only reach it by foot on a short trail (maybe 3/4 mile) Makes for a great little weekend afternoon hike-n-brew.

Hope to see you on your stay up here.
Richard

Aloha! You know I was born/raised in Marin and I've never heard of the Tourist Club. I wonder if I've ridden by it or if I would know it if I saw it (I was quite an avid bicycle rider throughout the county for many years as a teenager.

I haven't been to the Tonga Room in years and isn't that "Vic's" relatively new?

I didn't know about the Tourist Club for the first few years I lived in Marin, either. It's quite hidden, has no street signs to show where to find the trailhead or anything.
It's a very odd place in that I can't figure out who runs it or what it was built for. It's quite expansive, but sits on a part of the hills that are only visible from atop Mt Tam, and even then only with binocs. Here's a page I found about it, but no pics:
http://coollame.org/archives/000056.html

I think the Tiki Goddess and I met you at Tiki Oasis last year. I've booked a film noir festival at the Parkway all Sept, check it out at http://www.picturepubpizza.com, I can guest list you for any of the shows - Monica and I are hosting the three Thrillville screenings, co-hosted by noir expert Eddie Muller (www.noircity.com - who also has a tiki bar in his backyard in Alameda, in fact he's have a "Tiki Noir" shindig this Sat, before my Elvis thing at the Conga Lounge (and they really appreciated the gift certificates you donated to their Grand Opening). Shoot me an email if you can make it to the East Bay, [email protected]

Aloha!

This is all very cool. My ability to depart on a moments' notice is highly limited, to say the least. However, I appreciate the offer AquaZombie!!!

In the meantime, Tiki-bot, I'm checking out that club in Marin, by asking family members what they know (I wish my Mom and Dad, aka M/M Marin, were still around. I would bet they would have stories to tell. Mom and Dad first met when they went to Tam High together. I've got this shot of Dad and Pat Paulsen "hurdling" in mid-air together.)

M

Hey Casey!

Are you around? Post if you're checking TC- we'll see about getting some drinks.

Pages: 1 8 replies