Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

tropical pop question

Pages: 1 20 replies

C

Does anyone recall or have tasted a pop put out by Canada Dry called "Tahitian Treat"? Very rare does Canada come up with anything remotely "tiki" or "tropical" unlike you Californians where Tiki is practically a lifestyle in some places.

Oh yeah!
I used to get Tahitian Treat from the drink machine in my high school!

Tasted icky with most foods, though, as I recall.

J

Tahitian Treat is still made but it is not readily available, at least where I live. I found it in a crusty old convenience store in Delaware recently...

"I used to get Tahitian Treat from the drink machine in my high school! "

That's too funny... used to be our favorite drink in high school... class of 88... there was a drink machine in the locker room and nothing tasted better after cross country practice as that... it was hard for them to keep that drink stocked!

I can still get it readily here and drink it often...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-08-08 21:53 ]

I thought it was called Tahiti Treat. I remember it being very red, sickly sweet and tasting mostly like maraschino cherry juice -- all of which are good things when you're a preteen.

I work for Coca-Cola here in North East Illinois and we distribute Tahitian Treat. It's not a real big seller, but it is still availible in cans, 2 liters and 20oz bottles.

I think the only place in America where you can get Tahitian Treat consistently is from the vending machines of 60s/70s era motels in Anaheim. That, and Cactus Cooler.

By the way coconutz, 2 extra points to you for using the term "pop". That's zazz.

~Hanford

E

I think the Canada Dry one, at least as bottled in Canada was called "Tahiti Treat". That was my fave as a kid too, used to visit my grandparents' corner store and beg free bottles - yum!!!

emspace.

B

On 2003-08-09 02:57, hanford_lemoore wrote:

By the way coconutz, 2 extra points to you for using the term "pop". That's zazz.

~Hanford

How many points for "Tonic"? When we went to visit my Great Grandfather. he would always say "Matchews(Matthew), wanna Tonic?" either that or "Soft Drink"
Everytime we visit my wife's family in Toronto, or they come here, we get into a Pop-vs-Soda debate.
And Damn it all, no Tahitian Treat, or Shasta for that matter, anywhere in New England.

There is actually a cocktail out there made with T.T. (Definitely NOT tiki) Anyone out there brave enough to try it will have to give us a review:

Doh

Type:
Cocktail
Ingredients:
2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Malibu Rum
Tahitian Treat Soda

Instructions:
Just throw them all together, add some ice, and drink. If you can't get Tahiti Treat use pineapple juice

On 2003-08-09 18:08, badmojo wrote:
How many points for "Tonic"?

minus 500

:D

C

I think the only place in America where you can get Tahitian Treat consistently is from the vending machines of 60s/70s era motels in Anaheim. That, and Cactus Cooler.

~Hanford

Hmmmm how bizarre! Pop, soda, soft drink, which to use! I recently discovered the word "ersatz" for describing extremely fake or phony flavors. Only 2 chintzy points?! TWO?! Are they negotiable?!

C

On 2003-08-09 00:53, drunkentiki wrote:
I work for Coca-Cola here in North East Illinois and we distribute Tahitian Treat. It's not a real big seller, but it is still availible in cans, 2 liters and 20oz bottles.

Can you tell me why it is impossible to get in Canada or is it just not available in Calgary? Any chance you could find out for me? It may start a whole new tropical storming of people into the supermarket to get some. It IS the most tikiest POP around!

Tahitian Treat and Canada Dry are a product of the Dr. Pepper/7-UP Bottling Company. So in my area, we only distribute it. Different companies will deliver it in other areas, all depending on who has the contract. Your best bet would be to ask the managers at the stores in your area who they get their Canada Dry and 7-UP products from and see if they can get Tahitian Treat from that vendor. Good luck.

E
Erika posted on Sun, Aug 10, 2003 8:56 AM

I think the only place in America where you can get Tahitian Treat consistently is from the vending machines of 60s/70s era motels in Anaheim.

And in Stratford, New Jersery, at Incollingo's Stratford Market. Usually they have Tahitian Treat, Shasta Tiki Punch, and Hawaiian Punch in the pop aisle.

I haven't tried Tahitian Treat yet. . . .

OK, to revive a very old thread!

Tahitian Treat is AWESOME! It used to be Tahiti treat, but had a slight renewal of interest and was rebranded...

ANYWAY, there is a MUCH better recipe for it that we came up with recently:

1 Pint glass filled with shaved ice
Fill to about 35-40% with Sailor Jerry Rum
Top with Tahitian Treat
Garnish with a lime flag.
Enjoy!

This is so good I now have my local liquor store ordering 12 packs of Tahitian Treat for me so when I pick up my rum I don't need to make another trip to the grocery store! Now, if the liquor store only sold toilet paper and chisels I'd be all set...

Enjoy!

On 2003-08-09 20:01, CruzinTiki wrote:
There is actually a cocktail out there made with T.T. (Definitely NOT tiki) Anyone out there brave enough to try it will have to give us a review:

Doh

Type:
Cocktail
Ingredients:
2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Malibu Rum
Tahitian Treat Soda

Instructions:
Just throw them all together, add some ice, and drink. If you can't get Tahiti Treat use pineapple juice

And here I was, thinking this was a question about pop as music....

this thread is amusingly categorized

Last I ever saw of Tahiti Treat was in the late 1990s, in Toronto... made by C-Plus, not Canada Dry. I actually even featured a picture of a can of the stuff in the now-defunct print version of my Mai Tai newsletter...

And yes, it was sickly sweet stuff...

And, um, yeah, maybe this shouldn't be in the music forum.

[ Edited by: John in Montreal 2008-02-18 07:07 ]

D

You can actually order it on Amazon of all places:
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Pepper-7-Up-Tahitian/dp/B0002IMRTC

On 2008-02-17 19:15, jpmartdog wrote:
this thread is amusingly categorized

I'll say. But I always did like a nice Hawaiian Punch!

Pages: 1 20 replies