Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Appleton VX vs Signature Blend

Pages: 1 4 replies

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2015 6:15 AM

This has shown up on the shelves and is priced lower than the VX. Is it just the new VX and VX is going away? Anyone tried it?

I went to an Appleton seminar a few months ago and they discussed the new branding of all their rums. Signature Blend is the new VX. Supposed to be the same formula. Strange that the price would be lower after pouring so much money into their new identity. Would be nice if they dropped it on the 12 and 21 year as well.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2015 8:04 AM

On 2015-12-08 08:00, mikehooker wrote:
I went to an Appleton seminar a few months ago and they discussed the new branding of all their rums. Signature Blend is the new VX. Supposed to be the same formula. Strange that the price would be lower after pouring so much money into their new identity. Would be nice if they dropped it on the 12 and 21 year as well.

At this store it was $18.99 or so and I see the VX at $20 usually. Could just be this store.

That was my guess. I hate that crap. Cruzan was changing their labels every month for a while. I had to guess by color if it was the same rum I used to get. They still do not use the terms "dark","gold", etc. anymore. So now what will "Extra" be? That's what I was out to buy...

Appleton Estate V/X --> Appleton Estate Signature Blend
Appleton Estate Reserve --> Appleton Estate Reserve Blend
Appleton Estate Extra 12 Year Old --> Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 Year Old

"Appleton Estate 21 Year Old Jamaica Rum" and "Appleton Estate 50 Year Old Jamaica Rum" have not changed names, and I've not read that they are planning on touching those. I think they were just trying to make the three lower-cost product names more logical and hierarchical, so we are seeing the "Signature --> Reserve --> Rare" progression in the new labels. I haven't seen anything which reports they've changed the blends, so we should be fine with our recipes.

Save your old bottles and drive your future new drinking friends crazy as they try to find the old labels on store shelves.

On 2015-12-08 09:03, AceExplorer wrote:
Appleton Estate V/X --> Appleton Estate Signature Blend
Appleton Estate Reserve --> Appleton Estate Reserve Blend
Appleton Estate Extra 12 Year Old --> Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 Year Old

Add to that list:

Appleton Special Jamaica Rum --> J. Wray Jamaica Gold Rum

Nice of them to include a hang tag with explanation cuz I got real excited when I spotted a J Wray gold rum and then was promptly disappointed that it's just re-branded Appleton Special.

Pages: 1 4 replies