Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Siesta Ware Outrigger Tiki Glasses

Pages: 1 9 replies

Greetings all! I've recently acquired a set of the Siesta Ware Hi Ball glasses (finally), and the wood is in pretty good shape (doesn't look "dry" and only a slight crack in one and a seam separation on another) and I'd like to keep it that way. I was looking around the forums and didn't see any posts about the care/upkeep of these vintage tiki finds, so I was hoping that a few of you could offer some sage advice, other than the obvious "Don't put them in the dishwasher". Is there any sort of wood treatment you should apply? Should they just be rinsed with cold water? Etc...

Mahalo!

H

Hi Kahiki Guy, I have a few sets of these glasses that I have never used, just like the way they look. I went to take a picture and I notice the back of one set had the instructions how to take care of them. So here you go :)

Thanks for the tip Hiltiki! I'll have to be super careful and selective about their use I guess. Looks like a nice collection. Thanks for sharing pics of it.

Mahalo!

Yeah, I always handwashed mine and dried them immediately. I love those and the mugs with handles.

Sounds like that's the consensus so far for care...I didn't know if there was a little trick, like using some sort of wood treatment like murphy's oil soap or beeswax or something to keep the wood from drying out.

[i]On 2015-12-15 10:34, hiltiki

Hi Hilda, Luv the stuff you collect! Izzat a timer in the green pitcher picture?

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-12-15 12:55 ]

On 2015-12-15 11:41, Kahiki Guy wrote:
Sounds like that's the consensus so far for care...I didn't know if there was a little trick, like using some sort of wood treatment like murphy's oil soap or beeswax or something to keep the wood from drying out.

You could try a light amount of mineral oil. Let it stay on for a few minutes and then buff with a soft cloth. Mineral oil is cheap and food safe. I use it on my cutting boards.

H

David, yes the green pitcher is a timer.

Hand wash is fine with dish soap, just don't let them soak
just wash & rinse, then dry immediately.

Thanks everyone. I do think I'll give the mineral oil a try. And follow up with washing and drying immediately. Probably won't use them very often. Guess they should be displayed more than used, like some of my other vintage mugs.

Cheers everyone!

Pages: 1 9 replies