Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 12-23-15 Xmas Show No. 3

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: December 23, 2015

Given that it was in fact the very eve of Christmas Eve, we spun a musical wreath out of several sanctifiable song stylings to help you relax and unwind while wrapping presents and quaffing copious amounts of yuletide cheer from an appropriate yuletide Tiki mug.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Kanaka Waiwai,” recorded by the Hawaiian duo Hapa for their seasonal CD: Hapa Holidays, featuring Barry Flanagan on Guitar and Doug White on Bass.

2. “The Little Drummer Boy,” composed in 1941 by Katherine Kennicott Davis and performed by The Mermen on their cornucopious compact disc: Do You Hear What I Hear: A Very Mermen Christmas, with Jim Thomas on Guitar, Allen Whitman on Electric Bass and Martyn Jones on Drums.

3. “Hey Santa!” by the Brian Setzer Orchestra on their Yuletidal Lunacy: Dig That Crazy Christmas.

4. “Santa's Second Line” by the New Birth Brass Band from the Creole-ish collection: Putamayo Presents: New Orleans Christmas, spotlighting the talents of James Andrews on Vocal and Trumpet.

5. “Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You,” the 1929 song composed by Andy Razaf and Don Redman, and found on the righteous retrospective: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story, Disc One.

6. “Greensleeves (What Child Is This?),” recorded by the New Orleans street performers Tanya & Dorise for their Christmas album: A Gift, featuring Dorise Blackmon on Guitar and Tanya Huang on Violin.

7. “Sleigh Ride” the 1950 song written by Leroy Anderson and Mitchell Parish performed by the Caribbean Jazz Project and taken from the comping compilation: Latin Jazz Christmas, featuring Dave Valentin on Flute, Dave Samuels on Vibes and Pancho Sanchez on Congas and Chekere.

8. “Snowfall,” composed by Claude & Ruth Thornhill, and “I Love the Winter Weather,” the 1941 song by Ted Shapiro, sung appropriately enough by Minnesota native Connie Eveningson on her clandestine compact disc: The Secret of Christmas, with Mary Louise Knutson on Piano Dave Karr on Tenor Sax, Terry Burns on Bass and Jay Epstein on Drums.

9. “Jingle Bells,” the 1850 song by James Lord Pierpont that was originally intended to be about sleigh riding in the Autumn, played by the Hot Club of San Francisco for the combustive collection: The Hot Club Cool Yule, featuring Paul “Pazzo” Mehling on Guitar and Evan “Zeppo” Price on Violin.

10. “Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe” drawn from the landmark 1961 LP set: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook, inked by Harold Arlen and E.Y. “Yip” Harburg for the 1943 movie: Cabin in the Sky, with the orchestra on this solid session arranged and conducted by Billy May, and spotlighting that talents of Emil Richards on Vibes.

11. “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town,” the 1934 song by J. Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie performed by a doubletracked Bill Evans on his 1967 landmarkable LP: Further Conversations With Myself.

12. “Good Morning Blues” written by singer Jimmy Rushing and the legendary bandleader Count Basie for their undated recording drawn from the reliquarious retrospective: Jimmy Rushing – Vanguard Visionaries.

Pages: 1 0 replies