Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Martin Denny - J. Lo Connection?

Pages: 1 14 replies

there was a local show on this past saturday morning that had these two ny theater guys touring hawaii. i think it's called ovations & odesseys.

they interviewed martin denny & he performed quiet village for them.

anyway, during the interview one of the interviewers talked about denny's influence on popular music & how there was a renewed interest in his work. denny mentioned that he's even been sampled on some rap records. & the interviewer then interviewer said "& then there's your connection w/ jennifer lopez."

anybody know what that connection is? or what rap records have denny samples?

It was on Snoop Dog's 'Quiet Hood'.

"Alone, in my quite 'hood I be hangin'. Then me and my homies start all the gang bangin', gang bangin'..."

Tiki Chris wrote:
...interviewer said "& then there's your connection w/ jennifer lopez."

anybody know what that connection is? or what rap records have denny samples?

Fo shizzle, my swizzle!....umm...err....something like that.

Anyway, Denny's song "Firecracker" is sampled on Jennifer Lopez's "I'm Real" release, thus resulting in the J.Lo/Mariah Carey feud, since Mariah was going to use the sample on her Loverboy release.

I'm sure you can find details on it by an internet search.

La di da....whatever. Are they both so untalented musically that they have to argue about who will use the sample? Puh-lease!

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Very true and funny Frank. They argue about who gets to 'use' someone else's creativity because they lack anything other than a set of hooters by which to market themselves.

The thought of something sacred like that being mixed with some psuedo hip-hop dribble-of-the-week from either one of those panty wastes makes my skin crawl.

They argue about who gets to 'use' someone else's creativity because they lack anything other than a set of hooters by which to market themselves.

Well, J-lo has the famous butt, too... Oops, I guess that's still not quite enough to pass for musical talent, huh.

The good thing about that is that Mr. Denny got a royalties check out of it for more than he ever made in his career, he told me.

(I shudder to think what JLo was making...)

What does the song sound like?!?!!?!
Is it cool? Is Quiet Village just barely used in it or is it the main sample in the song? Anyone here heard it?

~Hanford

K

Good for Martin making the $$$! Anyone know how he's doing these days? Isn't he up in his 90's now? Does he still perform regularly?

D

Juno here is a recent thread about Mr. Denny and 2 of TC's beloved ohana....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4851&forum=1&16

Did she marry him during the song's recording and promotion?

K

Thanks dawntiki, I must have overlooked that thread. I think it pretty much answers my questions.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Aug 13, 2003 1:49 AM

BK wrote: "The thought of something sacred like that being mixed with some psuedo hip-hop dribble-of-the-week from either one of those panty wastes makes my skin crawl"

Mr.Denny told me he liked that J-lo used his work....he said he got over $200,000 for it! and also has her cd on hold for him at Borders so he can here how she used it.

HO!!! $200,000 crazy ya?

K

Doesn't he get an additional royalty on top of the $200,000 for units sold? I'm not a big fan of sampling either. I always thought that artists that rely heavily on sampling aren't able to come up with their own ideas so they need to borrow someone else's.

[ Edited by: Juno on 2003-08-13 07:17 ]

On 2003-08-13 07:15, Juno wrote:
Doesn't he get an additional royalty on top of the $200,000 for units sold?

[ Edited by: Juno on 2003-08-13 07:17 ]

It depends on the nature of the agreement. Many sampling payouts are just that, a one time fee (a BIG fee, however) But if enough of the sample is used to where the original artist gets actual Writer Credit, then mechanical royalties, etc., begin to kick in.
-Z

Pages: 1 14 replies