Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Examples of neon tiki signs?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Anyone seen any good examples of custom neon tiki signs? Thinking about having one made for our basement bar, but not having a lot of luck so far finding good examples online.

do a search under "sign" authored by me - tipsy mcstagger and you will see some of my custom signs like aku aku, swampfire lounge, islander, among others. i can do a custom sign for you. also check out my giant swizzle stick signs

Good question. My BS opinions and thoughts...
-- I have only seen "good tiki neon" as part of larger design elements like a building's main signage. For example, I pulled three images from Google below. My opinion is that neon is difficult to integrate into a home bar -- it's very bold visually and can compete strongly with other visual elements in your bar. But it can be done. Consider making sure that you can dim it to a lower brightness, and balance it out with other things. I think you're doing the right thing looking online and seeing what appeals to you. There is a lot of bad neon and "tiki" signage for sale, some of it incredibly cheesy.
-- Consider using specialty lighting. Wave projectors, and gobo projectors, are both worth looking into because they create movement over large spaces of wall. And they are unique because most of your guests aren't familiar with them - not enough clubs and bars use them because in daily 16hrs x 7 days use they will need some maintenance (lamp replacement, lubrication, small motors) and most places are too cheap to routinely make even the simple repairs to their effects.

Examples:

1. A big sign with a mix of lighted elements. Cool, not my fave, but shown as an example:

2. A big sign, balanced with a tiki (which would benefit from spot or back lighting) and something similar (much less complicated) could be scaled down fairly nicely along a wall in a home bar:

3. Here's one of my faves, Tonga Hut. I would definitely add a spot light on the tiki because it tends to be overshadowed by the bright neon. This photo makes the neon look VERY bright, and I don't think it's that bright in the wild.

If you're looking for something small and subtle, neon is not a "tiny" medium. A certain amount of "bulk" is unavoidable. Public bars may use a fair amount of neon though, it depends on a lot of things unique to each individual space. (In the Mai-Kai the lighting emphasis is on soft effects, mixed with direct and indirect lighting.)

I have other tricks up my sleeve for my home bar, but those are my thoughts on neon in a nutshell. Hope this helps.

Tipsy - I looked up your posts on signs here, you do excellent work, both with your designs and with fabrication. The Swampfire Lounge sign is spectacular. Nice choice of fonts too.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.