Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

low brow aloha !! a tiki art event !

Pages: 1 25 replies

Greetings !!!

After years of trying to get something like this happening at hala kahiki, river grove illinois, the owners have been gracious enough to allow me the opportunity to host the first of of two yearly shows at hala kahiki - one in the spring and one around the holiday season. This years spring event will be held Saturday April 2, from 12- 5 pm. The purpose of this event is to showcase local low brow tiki artists and crafts people, as well as those artists whose work also reflects low brow art and culture. For years similar events have been held on the west coast ( the international tiki marketplace at don the beachcomber's) and in detroit (castaway tiki gift show at chinn's) among others. It's high time we here in the midwest had something of our own, thus LOWBROW ALOHA !!

mark your calendars and come on out - it's two months out and we already have some great artists and vendors lined up. If all goes well we might even add a summer event in the outdoor parking lot. Theres a Facebook event page under low brow aloha !! that you can check into - If there are any local artists in the chicagoland area or neighboring state that want to be involved, contact me.

spread the word and see ya there !!

T

Sounds cool Tipsy.
Would like to vend some time.
Don't know if I can make it this time.

Me and my SO will be there. I love shows like this! I'm already looking forward to spending way too much money!

Double post

[ Edited by: Tiki flange 2016-01-28 15:28 ]

I can't be there this time,but would be interested if you do another event.

I am going to try to be there. I have to go to a wedding that day but I might be able to stop by when the festivities begin.

I am so happy that the Hala Kahiki will enter the 21st Century! Good work, Tipsy!

Thanks Sven !!!! It's shaping up to be a great show - we are at full 14 vendor capacity now. More updates later tonight - I'll post full vendor list here.

I'll also add that big plans are in the works for the bar area. It's going to become more of a lounge area - the tables across from the bar are going away - a bar rail and taller tables will replace them. New lighting will be added and the old lights will be peppered in amongst the decor in the rest the place in the other rooms. A bank if slot machines and an atm will be in the far corner to your right when you enter the bar. I just finished up the trim to be dropped off this weekend - all should be in place in time for the show.

H

Beautiful sign, love the colors and the design. Best of luck with your event.

On 2016-02-26 23:23, hiltiki wrote:
Beautiful sign, love the colors and the design. Best of luck with your event.

Thanks !! The poster was created by artist Kymm bang - she's one of the artists in the show. I'm hoping for a good turn out.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-02-27 03:50 ]

On 2016-02-25 09:34, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I'll also add that big plans are in the works for the bar area. It's going to become more of a lounge area - the tables across from the bar are going away - a bar rail and taller tables will replace them. New lighting will be added and the old lights will be peppered in amongst the decor in the rest the place in the other rooms. A bank if slot machines and an atm will be in the far corner to your right when you enter the bar. I just finished up the trim to be dropped off this weekend - all should be in place in time for the show.

Wait, what? There's nothing "lounge" about high tables and a bar rail. I can understand the concept of wanting to increase business but that's certainly going to change the vibe of the place. They never allowed standing before - you have to wait to be seated for service. And slot machines?

While we have been encouraged by the enthusiasm there lately, I have to wonder how this will affect their core clientele? - and I'm not talking about us tiki people. Most people we see waiting for tables on weekends are couples looking for a romantic date spot.

TT

Not to worry - I'm keeping a close eye on it and it's going to be fine. They know what they are doing. The owner has no desire to compromise the vibe. I know that on its face it sounds like a disaster but you're going to have to trust the process. There is a lot more involved here than the rough sketch I laid out above.

shaping up to be great time !! all the vendors and artists are working tirelessly. you can search Facebook for lowbrow aloha !! to find the event page and see some of the artists work, both past work and items for the show.

I won't have a booth this time around but i have teamed up with atomic crush designs to bring you these tiki mug display shelves that we will debut at the event. Custom printed graphics on fabric by atomic crush makes up the side panels of each shelf unit. Each shelf holds 10 mugs comfortable, depending on size. Stop by check them out and pick one up or order your own custom made shelf with a full catalog of colors and designs to choose from.

After the show, the shelves will be available in my etsy shop.

THIS JUST IN:

Tipsy is going to be a guest on this week's Nocturnal Journal with Dave Hoekstra on Chicago's very own WGN radio this coming Saturday night. They will be discussing the upcoming Low Brow Aloha Art show coming up 4/2. If you tune in below on Saturday night between 9-11pm you should be able to stream it live...

http://wgnradio.com/category/nocturnal-journal-with-dave-hoekstra/

Well wouldn't you know it !!!:

http://tipsydiaries.com/2016/03/11/tiki-is-making-a-comeback/

Well if Tipsy's diaries say so! :)

podcast should be available monday - ill post link here in case anyone missed it or wants to hear it.

don't forget !! this saturday is the big show - hope to see some of you local folks out there. ill post photos and such after the event.

look up low brow aloha !! on Facebook and see some of the great stuff available for sale -

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-03-31 20:32 ]

One of the paintings I'll have at the show tomorrow. See you there!

Sweet !! That looks great -

I'll take that Tahitian barrel mug off your hands if you want too !

Thanks so much to all that came out to the show !!! It was a huge success. Vendors were great and they were selling consistently all day. Jerry hit em out of the park with his tiki carvings. There was hardly any left at the end. The crowd was unprecedented. The staff didn't count on such a huge turn out and they got buried behind the bar fast but they rallied through and came out like champs !! The buyers were wonderful -,super nice crowd of folk despite the midwest weather - it was sunny for 20 minutes then blizzard snow for 20 minutes all day. We also had a live ukulele performer in the bar area.

raffle prize baskets !! several vendor items and a gift certificate to hala kahiki in each baskets.

raffle winner #1

raffle winner #2

cristine beller

ary paloma

megan besmirched

mark thompson

dean hacker

kyle raetz

don pictone

jerry shoester

kira padilla

ryan largo

mark thompson

I picked up this shrunken head from dean for the tiki room ……

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2016-04-03 09:34 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-04-03 09:37 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-04-03 09:47 ]

We have the go ahead to do another show- any artists interested in vending contact me. tentative date is august 6th - we will have a longer day plus 14 vendors inside again and 14 or more outside in the patio area. details to follow - stay tuned. i will post more in a separate thread once things are more solidified.

We loved this show and picked up some cool items. We'll definitely be back again in August.

Great job and thank you for putting this together!

[ Edited by: Tiki Flange 2016-04-04 19:40 ]

On 2016-04-04 19:39, Tiki Flange wrote:
We loved this show and picked up some cool items. We'll definitely be back again in August.

Great job and thank you for putting this together!

[ Edited by: Tiki Flange 2016-04-04 19:40 ]

awesome !! glad you had a good time - we'll see you in august for the next show !!

Pages: 1 25 replies