Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

call to midwest tiki artists, low brow art

Pages: 1 6 replies

greetings !!

Any artists in the chicagoland area or neighboring states that would like to vend and sell your art and wares at the first annual tiki arts and crafts show, "LOW BROW ALOHA !! ," at hala kahiki in river grove illinois, please contact me.

This event will hopefully be the first of two yearly shows at hala kahiki - one in the spring and one around the holiday season. This years spring event will be held Saturday April 2, from 12- 5 pm. The purpose of this event is to showcase local low brow tiki artists and crafts people, as well as those artists whose work also reflects low brow art and culture. For years similar events have been held on the west coast ( the international tiki marketplace at don the beachcomber's) ) and in detroit (castaway tiki gift show at chinn's) among others. It's high time we here in the midwest had something of our own, thus LOWBROW ALOHA !! - The owners of hala kahiki have been gracious enough to allow us this opportunity.

There is no fee for booth space. We will be set up in the two back rooms of hala kahiki. Tables are provided but you may want to bring a folding table or card table and definitely some clamp lights and extension cords depending on your needs. Its very low lighting in those rooms and the last event i went to there you could barely see the merchandise. You can bring whatever other display stuff you may need for your wares. This is a one day event - after closing the show / sale we must break down our booths and get all our stuff back into our cars as hala kahiki will need the back room space for their normal saturday night crowd of rum drinkers. We will have ample time to do this. After which we can come back in and have a few drinks if we aren't tired of each other by then after spending several hours together.

*** both spaces are small - only about 7ft long by 5 ft deep. Not a lot of space as we have room for only 14 vendors. Depending on how many vendors commit we can make some booths larger to accommodate vendors that might need more space if need be. ***

we have a Facebook event page - low brow aloha !!

if interested let me know asap as spaces are filling up.

thanks !!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-01-24 12:20 ]

Good luck Tipsy!

Alright! Time to put the Hala Kahiki on the radar of the Tiki Revival!

TT

On 2016-01-24 19:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Alright! Time to put the Hala Kahiki on the radar of the Tiki Revival!

Hope you are right place is amazing, but owners have seemed kind of hesitant to expand to anything other then just the basic business. This is a good sign.

[ Edited by: Tiki Toli 2016-01-25 04:45 ]

This is a new era for Hala kahiki. The old guard has given way to the hew guard. The grandson and his wife are now the sole owners of Hala kahiki. They have been wonderful to work with and open to new ideas. There are summer car shows planned which have been a huge success thanks to local car clubs. We are wirking on a summer vintage flea market in the parking lot. Illinois has legalized electronic gambling. - you can expect slot machines in place by the time my art event occurs. I'm doing a number of small jobs for them, one of which is creating a killer light up sign for their machines in line with the types of signs I've made in the past (search my user name and signs here ) - big things afoot for Hala kahiki - some I can't mention right now but you will be pleasantly suprised upon your future visits.

They have already added some signature tiki mugs and some carved glass tiki tumblers. More on the way. Menu additions and a monthly craft cocktail list that changes each month.

Please suggest additions to the food menu. I would be much more willing to spend a long time there if I could nibble on stuff other than taro chips or pretzels.

Greetings !!

space is filling fast-we have room for about 3 more vendors / artists. spread the word !!

thanks !!

Pages: 1 6 replies