Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

DON TIKI @ Blue Note Hawaii February 16 –18, 2016

Pages: 1 20 replies

DON TIKI featuring STARR KALAHIKI

Honolulu’s legendary Don Tiki—the collaborative of stellar musicians, vocalists and dancers that reinvented the jungle jazzy sounds of exotica—brings their A-Team to Blue Note Hawaii February 16–18. Drawing inspiration from the original Mid-Century masters of the exotica sound,
Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman and Les Baxter, Don Tiki has moved this evocative genre of music into the 21st century. In fact, Denny gave the band his seal of approval when he played on their 1997 debut album, The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki.
The troupe consists of band leader and composer Kit Ebersbach on keyboards, Starr Kalahiki (winner of Jazz album of the year for “Salt”) on vocals, Lopaka Colón on percussion and jungle calls, Abe Lagrimas, Jr. on vibes and percussion, Ryoko Oka on keyboards,
Bonny B. (Spyro Gyra) on drums, Mark Tanouye on bass, and dancer/enchantress Violetta Beretta.

“Don Tiki have a sexy allure, along with flair and a good sense of humor...” ~Time Out/NY
“Tiki supergroup Don Tiki knows the world, the subculture of tiki…it really doesn’t get much better than this!” ~ Anthony Bourdain

A Starr is Born: http://www.summitzine.com/posts/a-starr-is-born/
The Best is Yet to Come: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=starr%20kalahiki%20videos%20-%20the%20best%20is%20yet%20to%20come
Check out our new drummer, Bonny B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8AuhRtW2ic
Abe Lagrimas Jr. and Lopaka Colon cookin’ on Soul Sauce: http://www.dontiki.com/video-live-at-the-doris-duke-t/
Violetta Beretta, Dancer/Enchantress: http://www.dontiki.com/video-live-at-the-doris-duke-t/

Meet our beautiful Hawaiian songbird, STARR KALAHIKI

Dancer/enchantress VIOLETTA BERETTA charms the pants off a snake as
DON TIKI performs MARTIN DENNY'S Cobra!

So, y'all flying in for our shows at Blue Note Hawaii next week or what?!?

We've got a gaggle of celebs clamoring to check out our shows at Blue Note Hawaii next!

So wishing that our mentor and beautiful human being Marty was still here to see us at the Blue Note...he'd be so proud!

Fluid Floyd, Martin Denny, Perry Coma

1. :drink:
T

"Mark Tanouye on bass"

NOOoooo, you got rid of the base player from the Kahiki last day party?

Haijung, our original and forever bass player from the Kahiki show had a conflict for this gig.
Mark is outstanding, but rest assured that Haijung will be back!

T

Haijung Wow yes that's her, Good to hear.

Have Video of that night and the guy who did the bird calls and such.
He was awesome too, but not as good looking in leopard dress.

Good Luck!!

Here's that bird calling guy, August "Lopaka" Colon, Jr. His dad, Augie Colon,
played percussion and birdcalls with Martin Denny for over 50 years~

PS – Tikiskip, would LOVE a copy of your vid if you have a way to burn a DVD!

T

On 2016-02-13 14:19, Fluid Floyd wrote:
PS – Tikiskip, would LOVE a copy of your vid if you have a way to burn a DVD!

Well I would do that for sure but I can't find that Video.
Some others asked about it.
I always kind of thought that since not many asked about that Video that it
had been copied many times.
Have great footage of August "Lopaka" Colon, Jr doing his solo and more.
Did not know it was him.

This is the same set of tapes that the DVD of Tiki used.

Will find it someday and get back to you.

Keeping my tikis crossed that you do!

Trying now to get a copy from one of the many people I gave one to.
Thought by now everybody had a copy.

Sold two on eBay and said I would not crank out a bunch of them.
But you know once it gets out you can't keep it from being copied and copied.

It is in the works Mr. Fluid.

Here's some pics from our Blue Note Hawaii shows last night...wish you were here!

Left to right: Abe Lagrimas, Jr., Perry Coma, Fluid Floyd, Violetta Beretta, Ryoko Oka, Lopaka Colon

Left to right: Violetta Beretta, Abe Lagrimas, Jr., Lopaka Colon, Ryoko Oka, Bonnie B., Starr Kalahiki, Mark Tanouye

Here's a pic from our 2nd set at Blue Note Hawaii last night jamming on "An Occasional Man."

Post show pic of the Don Tiki Tribe with performers past and present...last 2 shows tonight!

G

Fluid Floyd, when are we going to get the pleasure of having Don Tiki play Hukilau? I know I'm putting Christie on the spot here because I've been pestering her for years about getting you on the bill. I won't rest until you're playing the main stage at the Mai-Kai!! :D

Aloha GatorRob, don't blame Tiki Kaliki...we've both talked about this possibility for years and have tried to work it out.
Just been a matter of timing and logistics as it's hard and expensive to bring our large troupe all the way from Hawaii to Florida.
Who knows, perhaps this will be the year!

Meanwhile, here's a few more pics from our last night at Blue Note Hawaii. Cheers~ FF

Pages: 1 20 replies