Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Prices on mugs dropping, what gives?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies

W

"Woofmutt saying he rallied against fluff posts on TC for sometime is disingenuous at the very least
he has a long history of "stream of consciousness/joke " posts & threads, so yes, that makes him a hypocrite."
-Atomic Tiki Punk-

If you check my record, which I assume you already have as you're clearly a big fan (Thanks!), you'll see that the majority (and possibly all) of my ""stream of consciousness/joke " posts & threads" have been in Bilge, a forum that was created for just that sort of thing.

I once was a great champion of keeping Tiki Central focused and friendly. I was somewhat influential in getting the Ohana forum created. Not because of the touchy feely warmth of it but because I got tired of seeing personal threads being posted in the forums. I was quite happy when there was a great exodus of members who were upset because they couldn't be mean and petty to others on here. (Rumor has it they sailed off to an some island and ended up eating themselves.

So though I appreciate that you're a great fan of my work I kindly decline your offer of the title "hypocrite."

J

For the record ... I enjoy ATP's sarcastic wit and usually find him entertaining. Probably because I know he's joking, or just making a point that really needs to be made. As for what is and isn't appropriate language on this forum ... grownups use lots of colorful language out in the real world, so why not here? Would you keep your child in the house for 18 years for fear he/she would hear the f-word? I doubt it, so why freak out about it here?

T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OUnFKDmYA&index=2&list=RDXLxIIfKCVqY
Dam Veronica! Are you in this band or do you just like this band?
If you are in this band I like you more now.

Like you too ATP.

Well woofmutt, I too keep my dicking around to Bilge & Shout
after all the joke I made that has seemed to upset a few was made in Shout!

You do possess a singular sense of humor as do I, which is why I never thought you should be attacked & banned from TC for it
it just added to the diversity of Tiki Central, back when it was an interesting place.

I do think your post was a good reply though, so kudos for that, but I would still disagree, with your disagreement. :lol:
and at least you're not thin skinned about it.

Thanks to all the cards,letters & posts rolling in that don't think I am worthy of the lynch party
currently looking to put a rope around my neck.

H

I think the Airing of Grievances portion is winding down. It's time to start preparing for the Feats of Strength!

C

So, ATP, in reference to your "singular sense of humor," what are you trying to say? that your sense of humor is
"exceptional, remarkable?"

It's a Festivus miracle!

On 2016-02-05 13:57, congatiki wrote:
So, ATP, in reference to your "singular sense of humor," what are you trying to say? that your sense of humor is
"exceptional, remarkable?"

No, just different, not mainstream, pretty dark, but totally Scandinavian.
for example I think people randomly blowing up is pretty funny, but not in a terrorist kind of way
the naturally occurring way, you know, spontaneous combustion.

So enough about me, I shall now prepare for feet's of strength.

So how about those mug prices?

T

On 2016-02-05 13:49, Hakalugi wrote:
I think the Airing of Grievances portion is winding down. It's time to start preparing for the Feats of Strength!

This post wins!

On 2016-02-05 14:42, tikiskip wrote:

On 2016-02-05 13:49, Hakalugi wrote:

This post wins!

Double that!!!

And don't forget We need a buyer for our show!!! :wink: http://www.mediameltproductions.com/BuildingParadise.html

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2016-02-05 19:25 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2016 11:57 PM

On 2016-02-04 19:18, Trader Tom wrote:

I took over administering template building on Ooga-Mooga in 2011 after Tiki Kate.

Ooga-Mooga has been around for 10 years now.

Here's a few observations I find interesting:

Since 2011, I've raised the number of individual mug templates from 4,250 to almost 8,000. Note, the "Unique Mugs" above falls short of actual number of templates made.

Since 2011 the total estimated value of all mugs in Ooga-Mooga has gone up about $1 million.

Since 2011, the number of collections has gone from about 550 or 600 to 1,058.

In 2011 to 2014, the number of weekly posters on the front page typically hung in the low 20s but since 2015 it is more common to see it around 30.

Since 2011, the variations on individual mugs has greatly increased, so that more and more new designs commonly comes in multiple colors and versions.

The initial price for many of the newer mugs has greatly increased and eBay flipping often sees these prices double almost immediately.

The number of designers/manufacturers has greatly increased to the point that I feel like Lucille Ball failing on the conveyor belt line as I desperately try to keep up with mug releases and information as they unfold each week.

I think a growing trend is to directly contact artists and commission more expensive custom versions. The higher-end pieces are treasured and don't appear on eBay as often. So, even though they don't appear on market radar, that is not to say that business isn't being done.

The general market for mass produced and vintage mugs remains soft on eBay but makers have sought out higher-end niche markets and the interest is still there. The market isn't dying but it has changed significantly.

Anyway, food for thought. Some of these points have been touched on previously, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents and give a little data to ponder.

Thanks Tom. (Don't wear loose shorts to any tiki events. :D )

TT
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.