Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Custom drink - Kraken's Wrath

Pages: 1 7 replies

I'm looking for feedback on this. If you make one, please tell me what you think, or suggestions for improvement.

My wife and I recently bought a new painting for our tiki bar, and decided to make a custom drink to go honor the occasion. The painting is called "The Kraken," hence the drink name, The Kraken's Wrath. The concept is one last drink before the ship plunges into the ocean. The drink is more Caribbean than tiki, but I think it works well all the same.

Kraken's Wrath
Method – Built
Glass – Old fashioned
Garnish – lime wedge
Strength – Strong
Description – One last drink before plunging into the briney depths. A rustic blend of pineapple, lime, falernum & spiced rum.

Pineapple 1 large chunk
Falernum 1/2 oz.
spiced rum (Kraken) 1 1/2 oz.
lime juice 3/4 oz. or less depending on lime acidity
Angostura bitters 2 dashes

1. Put pineapple and falernum into glass. Muddle pineapple.
  2. Add all other ingredients and ice.
  3. Stir and serve.

About the pineapple:
I designed the drink around fresh pineapple, 20-25 gr., around 1”x1”x2”. Some alternate options would be Dole pineapple chunks in can, around 3 of them, or less than 1/4 oz. pineapple juice.

About the lime:
Use a reasonable size lime - some of the super large limes I've gotten recently have been too acidic and thrown off the balance.

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2016-03-15 10:43 ]

J

I'm surprised you describe the strength as "strong" since there's only 1.5 oz of liquor in it, even though Kraken is 94 proof. That seems medium strength to me. It would need at least 2 oz of liquor to be considered strong in my book, unless the proof of that liquor is at least 110. Also, I don't think the size of the lime is really the factor in the acidity of the lime. Although the size could be an indicator of the species. It could be the species or ripeness of the fruit that effects the taste.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2016-03-15 11:07 ]

I rarely get to use Kraken, so I will try this, but not for a few days or so cuz I'm working long hours right now.

Thanks for sharing this - I hope you get encouraging feedback.

On 2016-03-15 11:01, JenTiki wrote:
I'm surprised you describe the strength as "strong" since there's only 1.5 oz of liquor in it, even though Kraken is 94 proof. That seems medium strength to me. It would need at least 2 oz of liquor to be considered strong in my book, unless the proof of that liquor is at least 110. Also, I don't think the size of the lime is really the factor in the acidity of the lime. Although the size could be an indicator of the species. It could be the species or ripeness of the fruit that effects the taste.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2016-03-15 11:07 ]

I called it strong due to the amount of liquor for the volume of the drink, but I don't think it tastes strong, so I could see calling it medium.

You could be right about the lime there. It was so large that I could barely fit it into my juicer, and it came out more acidic than usual. Some more testing is in order.

On 2016-03-15 11:17, AceExplorer wrote:
I rarely get to use Kraken, so I will try this, but not for a few days or so cuz I'm working long hours right now.

Thanks for sharing this - I hope you get encouraging feedback.

Please let me know what you think, if you get a chance to make it.

S

I like the painting, who is the artist?

On 2016-03-16 10:40, sirginn wrote:
I like the painting, who is the artist?

The artist is Rodel Gonzalez. He's an artist for Disney.

Giclee prints of this painting will be made available soon, from what I understand. They have the painting right now at Disney for scanning and reproduction. Check in a few months and they should be for sale through his website.

Sounds like a good drink Jeff. Gonna try it soon and you’ll get a written report the next morning.
Cheers

Still working on the recipe ... I'm going to try this tonight with Bittermens 'Elemakule Tiki bitters in place of the Angostura. I'll report back.

Pages: 1 7 replies