Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 3-23-16 On Broadway

Pages: 1 2 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: March 23, 2016

On this week’s show we are going to amble down the great white way to celebrate the musical creations credited to the copious creative composers who have called Broadway home for more than a hundred years.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Tea for Two” was composed by Irving Caesar and Vincent Youmans for the 1925 musical: No, No Nanette. This version was recorded in 1940 by Bing Crosby and Connee Boswell is found on Der Bingle’s box set: Easy to Remember.

2. Sung by none other than Eddie Cantor, “Makin’ Whoopee” was written by Gus Kahn and Walter Donaldson for the 1928 Broadway musical and 1930 movie titled: Whoopee! and is drawn with swizzle sticks from the cracking compilation: Music! Music! Music! For the Fun of It – Essential Collection.

3. “I Know That You Know” was inked by Otto Harbach, Vincent Youmans and Anne Caldwell O”Brien for the 1926 musical: Oh, Please! and is performed by the steel guitar master Alvino Rey on his righteous retrospective: So You’re the One! From Sweet to Swing.

4. “Johnny One Note” was composed by the dynamic duo of Rodgers & Hart for the 1938 musical: Babes in Arms and was recorded live by Mel Torme and the Harry Sesnik Orchestra, appearing on the Melster’s nocturnal look back: ‘Round Midnight.

5. “I Get a Kick Out of You” was by Cole Porter for the 1934 Broadway show: Anything Goes and is taken from the musical masterpiece: A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra by the Oscar Peterson Trio, with Mr. Peterson on Piano, Ray Brown on Bass, and Ed Thigpen on Drums, recorded in Paris in 1959.

6. Composed by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields for the 1930 musical: Lew Leslie's International Revue, this version of “On the Sunny Side of the Street” came from 1957 longish titled LP: Warner Brothers Presents the Helen Morgan Story in CinemaScope Featuring the Voice of Gogi Grant – Music Direction by Ray Heindorf, the movie that starred Paul Newman and Ann Blyth as Helen Morgan, with Ms. Grant dubbing her singing scenes.

7. “I Love Paris,” which originally appeared in the 1953 Broadway musical: Can-Can was performed by the vivacious vibraphonist Lionel Hampton and is found on the tributory CD: Cole Porter – A Great American Songwriter.

8. “I've Got the World on a String” was written by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler for the 1932 Broadway revue: Cotton Club Parade, and this 1952 vocal version appears on the rapturous retrospective: Songs by Kay Starr.

9. “Crazy Rhythm,” inked by Irving Caesar, Joseph Meyer and Roger Wolfe Kahn for the 1928 musical: Here’s Howe, was recorded in 1960 by The Guitars Unlimited Plus 7 and is drawn from the copious collection: The History of Space Age Pop, Vol. 3: The Stereo Action Dimension.

10. “Bali Ha'i” of course comes from the 1949 Rodgers & Hammerstein musical: South Pacific, and is sung for us by Gloria Lynne on her 1965 LP: Try a Lttle Tenderness.

11. The Lerner & Loewe classic, “On the Street Where You Live” from their 1956 musical: My Fair Lady, was assayed in 1958 by the arranger Bob Thompson on his admirable album: Just for Kicks, featuring Jules Jacob on Oboe.

12. “Why Shouldn't I?” was written by Cole Porter for the 1935 Broadway musical: Jubilee and was waxed by Rosemary Clooney on her 1963 lascivious LP simply titled: Love, arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle, who was her lover at the time, and including the talents of Paul Smith on Piano.

13. “Sunrise, Sunset,” composed by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick for the 1964 Broadway musical and 1971 movie: Fiddler on the Roof, came from the ample album: Simcha Time: Mickey Katz Plays Music for Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and Brisses, featuring the father of Joel Grey and grandfather of Jennifer Grey on Clarinet.

14. “Too Close for Comfort” by Jerry Bock, George David Weiss and Larry Holofcener for the 1956 Sammy Davis Jr. musical: Mr. Wonderful was taken from the volumnious CD set: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story, Disc One.

15. “I'm a Funny Dame” was written by Matt Dubey and Harold Karr for the 1956 Ethel Mermen vehicle: Happy Hunting and is heard here in a version waxed by Eartha Kitt on her 1956 feline LP: Miss Kitt, to You.

16. “I've Got Your Number” by Cy Coleman and Carol Leigh appeared in the 1962 Broadway musical: Little Me and was sung in 1963 by Tony Bennett on his anthemic album: I Wanna Be Around…, arranged and conducted by Marty Manning with the late Ralph Sharon on Piano.

17. “My Heart Stood Still,” the song by Rodgers & Hart for the 1927 Broadway musical: A Connecticut Yankee, was performed for us by Stacey Kent on her capacious compact disc: In Love Again – The Music of Richard Rodgers, with David Newton on Piano, Simon Thorpe on Bass and Jesper Kviberg on Drums.

18. “What'll I Do?” was composed by Irving Berlin for the 1923 Music Box Revue, and was recorded by Pink Martini on their 2013 superlative CD: Get Happy, spotlighting China Forbes on Vocal with the group’s leader Thomas M. Lauderdale on Piano, Maureen Love on Harp and 96-year-old Norman Leyden on Clarinet.

19. “Can't We Be Friends,” which was written by Paul James –whose real name was Jimmy Swift – and his wife Kay Swift – who was George Gershwin’s long-time lover – for the 1929 Broadway musical: The First Little Show, is sung by Karrin Allyson on her Creative Compact Disc: Sweet Home Cookin’ with Alan Broadbent on Piano and arrangements, Bob Cooper on Tenor Sax, Danny Embrey on Guitar, Randy Sandke on Trumpet, Putter Smith on String Bass and Sherman Ferguson on Drums.

some of my favorite songs of all time.

DZ

Thanks, Lucas. We aim to please!

Pages: 1 2 replies