Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Honolulu Airport Tiki Renovations

Pages: 1 3 replies

With a hodgepodge of Architectural styles and plans for an boring boxy international style master plan and huge makeover, the state of Hawai'i's DOT Airports division, as well as the whole State usually builds after a 10 year process. This 10 year lapse usually results in a mix of confusing developments. For example this Poly Pop architectural styled renovations to the curbside arrival, although welcomed by all in this website, these renovations(apparently planned around 10 years ago) does not match the new car rental center or the Hawaiian architecture of the lei stands nor will it match the new rail station nor the huge plain style of the new master plan I mentioned, which might ruin the remodeling going on right now. Here is pic of the Lei Stands with the familiar Hawaiian Architecture

from Kamaaina45 from flickr

Here is the first attempt to make a Poly Pop design on the arrival curbside on the main terminal. Note the outriggers were so small I had to put red arrows to point them out.

Another shot in silhouette to see it better. Hey it's Poly Pop/Tiki and I'll take it.

Low and behold there were long delays in the refit (like most government work) then suddenly there was a refit of the refit (rare for government work). Someone with power decided that the remodel wasn't good enough and below is the happy results with more noticeable outriggers.

Long live Tiki and Poly Pop!!!

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2016-04-06 01:21 ]

Thanks, nice report. The airport has been a hodge-podge of stuff for years, too much "modern" concrete barriers and walls. My memories also include "lots of brown and dark stuff," which isn't bad by itself, but the awareness of being in Hawaii overwhelmed my senses and it all blended in to the fabric of anticipating time on the islands.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the completed work at the airport.

M
K

For me, the biggest crime at HNL airport is that those fabulous lei stands, that few people even see or know about anymore, should be brought into the arrival/departure areas!

Pages: 1 3 replies