Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Lowbrow Aloha !! - return to paradise. A midwest tiki art and vintage marketplace

Pages: 1 18 replies

Greetings all !!

Mark your calendars !!

LowBrow Aloha !! - tiki art and marketplace returns to paradise at the hala kahiki in river grove, illinois on august 6th, 2016, with most of your favorite artists from our first show, plus many new faces. Including, yours truly, this time around. We have vendors inside and out on the patio - rain or shine !!

check out the lowbrow aloha !! Facebook page for more details and stay tuned here for more updates

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-04-10 08:12 ]

Getting close !! Only five weeks away - check out the Facebook event page to stay current and see some of the work that will be in the show !!

This sucks. I missed the first one because of a wedding I had to go to, and now I am going to be out of town at a convention for this one. Hopefully, you keep doing them.

On 2016-07-04 12:30, Comicbookhero wrote:
This sucks. I missed the first one because of a wedding I had to go to, and now I am going to be out of town at a convention for this one. Hopefully, you keep doing them.

Bummer. The plan is to have a show in spring, one in summer and a holiday gift show in November. Hopefully you can make that one.

Those of you in town Friday before the show, if you are looking for something awesome to do, join us for the unofficial (which basically means we are just showing up to see the show) pre lowbrow aloha party with our friends, the 13 tikis and one of the best surf bands to come out of Russia, messer chups. You don't want to miss this unique opportunity to catch their act. This is a huge boon that they happen to be playing the same weekend as lowbrow aloha. Shaping up to be an awesome time.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-07-06 19:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-07-06 19:35 ]

Two weeks and counting !! Check out Lowbrow aloha on Facebook and see some sneak peeks at some of the art available.

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2016 2:14 PM

On 2016-07-23 18:38, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
...Check out Lowbrow aloha on Facebook...

Tipsy, why relegate Tiki Central to advertising space?
I, for one, am NOT on Facebook.
It is a conscious decision on my part.
Can I attend, no, but I would still like to see the artwork and pictures of the event.

Hopefully one day I'll be financially able to travel to events out of town and see everything up close and in person, until then I'm stuck here looking at a monitor.
Please post the pictures and happenings here as well.

On 2016-07-24 14:14, Heath wrote:

On 2016-07-23 18:38, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
...Check out Lowbrow aloha on Facebook...

Tipsy, why relegate Tiki Central to advertising space?
I, for one, am NOT on Facebook.
It is a conscious decision on my part.
Can I attend, no, but I would still like to see the artwork and pictures of the event.

Hopefully one day I'll be financially able to travel to events out of town and see everything up close and in person, until then I'm stuck here looking at a monitor.
Please post the pictures and happenings here as well.

It's usually easier for me to not have to post on a number of different sites and instead steer folks to one point of reference where they can find all the info they need. I will however, post pics of the show here after it's over to share the art, the bar and the crowd with everyone like I did after the last show. That way those that couldn't make it can see what it's about in the event they want to go to future shows.

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2016 9:00 PM

Point taken.
I can see how organizing an event and dealing with all the different social media could be like herding cats.
Best of luck for this and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

I'm not on Fakebook as well.
Best I can guess is that on Facebook you can let who you want in and block others.

Too bad that more and more people are forsaking TC and not adding to it.
This may end up having a divide and Conquer effect on Tiki in the end.

Broke my hand over the 4th.
Can't build lights as it is my right hand.

Here's one I did get done.

On 2016-07-25 10:40, tikiskip wrote:
Too bad that more and more people are forsaking TC and not adding to it.
This may end up having a divide and Conquer effect on Tiki in the end.

I think those who appreciate the permanence of TC stay here and contribute. Facebook is so transient - it all disappears in a short time. I love searching TC and finding nuggets from the past, especially info on places long-gone.

On 2016-07-25 10:40, tikiskip wrote:
Broke my hand over the 4th.
Can't build lights as it is my right hand.

That is a bummer! Skip does great work with lights and lighting.

This thread was meant as a place to announce the lowbrow aloha show and for pics of the art and event. Id appreciate it if we don't turn it into a big debate about Facebook and the merits thereof.

I did the same thing for the last show and no one had issue then. I made it clear to the vendors that this thread was in tiki central and to post pics of their work - if they weren't members, I'd post it. Not my fault no one took me up on it. Therefore, as I said, pics will be posted after the event unless the artists want to post something last minute, fine with me. We got two weeks till showtime,

See you Saturday !! Looks like we're gonna have some nice weather for the show !!

If I promise not to debate the use of the social media platform that was mentioned, could you at least tell those of us here not on it how we can easily find out the the start and end time of the event?

Also, will the video gambling machines be available for use during the event?

TT

Really Andy ?? I'm gonna make sure those machines are fired up and ready just for you !!

The show runs noon till 5 pm on this Saturday the 6th -

There are artists inside and out on the patio as well as some vintage vendors. There will be food trucks all day long if you want some grub. There is also Hala kahiki's rum available and their pineapple beer too !! There's some really great art and carvings - I'm gonna be spending some money I'm sure

Hope to see you and carol out - been too long.

Thanks for the quick reply! We will be there. We are definitely looking forward to it and we appreciate your efforts.

I'll be sure to bring a fat wallet!

TT

Awesome show. Already looking forward to whatever comes next! Made some great connections with some artists I'll be buying from in the future.

Pages: 1 18 replies