Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

"Way" Off Topic...but a good rule to follow when traveling to Malaysia

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

Malaysia Says Don't Cook, Wash in Toilets
Wed Aug 13,11:53 AM ET

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Officials in a southern Malaysian state will soon enforce a new law that forbids people to wash clothes, cook or light a fire in public toilets, a news report said Wednesday.

The law will allow fines of up to 1,000 ringgit (US $263) for anyone deemed to have abused restroom facilities, said Low Boon Hong, a government official in Johor state, 300 miles south of Kuala Lumpur.

Offenses under the law include failing to flush, vandalism, spitting and littering — as well as more irregular behavior in toilets such as bathing, cooking, washing clothes and lighting fires.

Let me tell you about Malaysian toilets from first hand experience.

Generally they are a porcelein platform about 4" off the ground with a hole in the middle and 2 foot shapes, either side, to put your feet on. By "flushing", they mean the garden hose that is laying on the side that you are supposed to wash the whole thing down with after you are done.

The design is all based on strict Islamic laws.

K

On first glance it's funny, but then you realize that the reason people are doing things in these public restrooms is because they are homeless or don't have running water in their shack.

http://pyracy.com/forums - for people of the piratical persuasion

I (I know this seem odd) completely agree with Kahukini. It's not as though these people prefer to do this, it's just that they have no other options.

When you have nothing, your standards are forced to be lowered.

D

Funny? No, what I find funny is people make laws addressing the wrong issues. If there is a need for public facilities for the homeless and the poor......what would be a good option? I know, a 263.00 fine? I don't mean to be a bummer but the human race is doomed!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-08-13 15:33 ]

I don't think that homelessness is why this law came about.

Speculation only....I think that is probably part of the problem but the law there is run by Muslims(60% of the population), and there is a large mix including Buddhist and Hindus. When I was there, I sensed a huge clash of cultures, between these groups, in every way, down to these basic WC rules. I think that the underlying message is a cultural crackdown.

A homeless Muslim, which there are many in Malaysia, would be disgusted at any of the violations discussed there, and would never even think to perform them. They would starve before using a toilet for cooking.

D

I'm sorry guys, I try to keep it light and fluffy. Guess I'm not feeling to fluffy today. Really...I hope I didn't bum anyone out -

I think I'll just go to Hawaii.

Pages: 1 7 replies