Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Happy Star Wars Day

Pages: 1 18 replies

May the 4th be with you all:

On a beach far, far away
There's something about a tiki bar that just makes us smile. Maybe it's the vibrant vintage kitsch feel. Maybe it's because it reminds us of Gilligan's Island, and the Professor making improbable radios out of coconuts. Then again, maybe it's the rum.

The Mos Eisley Kon-Tiki Bar is the only wretched hive of scum and villainy where you can count on every drink to come with a little umbrella. You're welcome to come in any time of day, but you'd better leave your blaster and lightsaber by the door. Serenaded by the soothing notes of Figrin D'an and his Modal Nodes' ukuleles, you can drape a flower lei around your neck and enjoy your Mai Tai in complete relaxation.

And what better tiki mug to drink from than one that looks like a character from the Star Wars? Choose to drink with Boba Fett, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, R2-D2, a Stormtrooper, or Yoda. Each holds about 14 oz. and has a contrasting interior, which will make you happy when you get to the bottom of the drink and have to ask, "But why is the rum gone?" Or at least, it'll entertain you a little. We think the lack of rum has something to do with moisture farming, but you didn't hear it from us.

F

Thank you- I just figured out what I'm getting my buddy for his birthday later this month!
Cheers!
:drink:

On 2016-05-04 12:16, Loki-Tiki wrote:
May the 4th be with you all:

And also with you.

T

Very on the fence.

Star Wars Tiki-Style Ceramic Collectors Mugs[tm]

So, question: at what point does a random ceramic character mug stop being a Tiki mug?

On 2016-05-05 20:56, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Star Wars Tiki-Style Ceramic Collectors Mugs[tm]

So, question: at what point does a random ceramic character mug stop being a Tiki mug?

[s]when you run out of rum, fruit, straws, and little umbrellas...[/s]

fixed for May the Fourth:

when out of rum, fruit, straws, and little umbrellas, you run...

I like em-Chewie looks “tiki”.
Cheers

Its all opinion of the individual.
Everybody has their own idea of what tiki is or isn't. There is no definitive answer. Usually the loudest opinions come from people with "skin in the game" trying to sell products.

Some people believe the mug must be a depiction of a polynesian based tiki, some that it was used in a tiki bar/restaurant, some that it held a "tiki" drink, and in todays world, many believe if it was created by a company that has "tiki" in its name, its a tiki mug..

To me personally, star wars and tiki don't go together. These aren't tiki mugs. I also don't think fez's, monkeys, spaceships, aliens, spy, cowboys, and pink panther go with tiki....but thats just me and obviously I'm in the minority with this thinking.

Now as a huge star wars fan, I think they are totally cool and bought them all. If tiki hadn't been in the name, I still would have bought them...because they were cool and star wars.

Will they be in my tiki hut next to my tiki mugs....NO.

Whatever people think and however they wanna decorate their shelves is fine by me, I'm not the tiki police. lol

I bought 'em all too. And I agree with Eric; It's not authentic tiki at all. These are Star Wars mugs.

Often I can come across as a purist who poo-poos things that challenge my notion of "what is tiki". These, however, are cool...and definitely take their cues from authentic tiki mugs. I will keep them in my lounge, methinks...but I won't be telling anyone they are authentic tiki mugs.

On 2016-05-06 01:04, ErichTroudt wrote:
I also don't think fez's, monkeys, spaceships, aliens, spy, cowboys, and pink panther go with tiki....but thats just me and obviously I'm in the minority with this thinking.

I have to disagree with you on the monkeys and fezzes thing. Monkeys in fezzes go with everything.

It sounds like the common thread in your list there is the total mid-century American cultural experience. I like fantasy Tiki - mermaids, pirates, etc. - but I try to still keep it within the realms of the tropical and nautical.

S

This thread belongs in Bilge.

Have posted before but still proud of this as it made it in the film. Real tiki mugs as Star Wars characters: https://vimeo.com/65646863

I think as a label, "Tiki mug", it works. It's really the only way to describe a drinking container that (almost universally) everyone understands. It's big, ceramic, holds a lot of booze (preferrably rum, but even the neophyte won't know that) and is shaped in a way that your hand has to really grab it. If you didn't call it a Tiki mug, what kind of mug do you call it?

Are we using Tiki as an adjective or a noun? :)

Is it "Tiki"? For me personally, not really, but I know a lot of people will and I don't have any problem with that at all. It's when the rules police come out that stuff stops being fun.

There's no "right" answer, right?

S

You call them what they actually are. CERAMIC mugs based on characters from the movie Star Wars.

It has nothing to do with 'rules', it has to do with facts. And the fact is that there is nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, tiki about Star Wars. Star Wars is not about Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop, and that is why this thread belongs in bilge.

T

Hey at least this thread is on fire.
It is really getting people to participate on TC.
AND there are at least THREE other mentions of these mugs in other threads.

TCs not dead after all.

There is another hot thread here…
Molten Copper into a Coconut???
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51334&forum=6&

S

On 2016-05-09 05:07, tikiskip wrote:

AND there are at least THREE other mentions of these mugs in other threads.

TCs not dead after all.

No it's not dead, it's just jumped the shark.

T

Here's what Wikipedia says...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tiki mugs are ceramic drinkware originating in mid-century American tiki bars and tropical themed restaurants, believed to have been pioneered by Don the Beachcomber. The term "Tiki mugs" is a generic, blanket term for sculptural drink ware that depict imagery from Melanesia, Micronesia or Polynesia, and more recently anything tropical or surfing-related.

It even says the Benihana-style may not rate tiki mug.
"The highly popular all-white figural Benihana-style drink glasses for exotic cocktails are also commonly referred to as "tiki mugs", but some collectors dispute this claim."

These Star wars mug are deemed tiki so as to nab cross collectors of tiki and Star wars.
It's a money making scam, like collecting money for charity and keeping most of it while
giving a small amount to the charity.
Like Goodwill thrift shops and others.

On 2016-05-09 08:09, tikiskip wrote:

These Star wars mug are deemed tiki so as to nab cross collectors of tiki and Star wars.

Agreed.

TB

I currently do not own any 'tiki mugs', but when I saw these I had to jump on them.

Pages: 1 18 replies