Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Napkin bow on metal cups how-to?

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

Not sure if this fits here, or elsewhere. Hale Pele ties a red paper napkin, not into a bow exactly, but in some way folds it so that it stays on the cup. Does anybody know how to do this?

Show a pic.
Cheers

T

From the BG Reynolds site. It appears to simply be wrapped around and folded over at the top, but it seems there's more to it than that. A tender at Hale Pele called it "tricky," and when I watched her do it, it did seem to have some sort of technique, but her hands covered it.

BB

It looks a little like the rolled top edge of a bath towel, to be honest. That would indeed be tricky to pull off with paper on a wet glass.

T

I also found this photo from the Hale Pele website, done in a prettier way:

T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdB0alzi3kM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsvBnxvNGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba04F5YRUrw
[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-06-04 05:07 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-06-04 05:09 ]

T

All neat stuff, though none get Hale Pele's result.

BB

The second picture makes it much clearer: it's a simple overhand knot. It looks like a rectangular napkin that has been folded diagonally before wrapping and tying it around the glass - the folded corners would be the ones tied together.

T

That is a small glass.
This is a bit closer.

T

Thanks, Bam Bam!

I think that's exactly it, Tikiskip!

T

It's not a knot, but a tuck.
The bartenders must hate di(king around with this when they are busy.

The sweat from the glass would help keep the paper napkin on as well.
With the ice I would bet there's not three ounces in that drink.

T

Most of it is 151. When I tried it, it was very good but very, very potent; their version is indeed about three ounces: 1 1/2 151, 1 falernum, 1/2 lime.

Can you give the basic process on that, Tikiskip, in what orientation one wraps it around, and which part is tucked where? Once I have the basic idea, I'll practice a while (I suppose it's just luck that a family member over-ordered paper napkins for an event).

T

"Can you give the basic process on that, Tikiskip"

Will do, hold on.

AAA

It just take a few drops of water to make the napkin stick to the ice cold metal tumbler. Like a toungue on a flag pole.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2016 5:57 AM

On 2016-06-05 20:36, Adam Aku Aku wrote:
It just take a few drops of water to make the napkin stick to the ice cold metal tumbler. Like a toungue on a flag pole.

Same here, except I lick the end of the napkin and press it to the frosted over metal cup and the napkin is stuck there like Flick's tongue on the pole in A Christmas Story.

As he covered most everything you could possibly imagine, Martin Cate has instructions on how to do this in his new book.

H

Here is a picture from instagram, its from Longitude in Oakland, CA,.

T

Longitude's menu looks great! I'll be in San Jose in September. Should I hit this spot, drinks good, food good? Liking the look of that grog posted on their site, and I was always intrigued by old menus mentioning drinks which come with an actual pearl. The Lion's Share looks like a Chartreuse Swizzle variant, also great.

Pages: 1 17 replies