Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Two headed tiki

Pages: 1 8 replies

I found this tiki in a thrift store recently. It looks to me like Cook Islands style. I've never seen a double headed tiki of this style. Any experts out there able to shed light on this item?

Upper right

Buzzy Out!

Thanks Buzzy. I wondered if you can tell me what that doubled headed tiki illustration in the book is mounted on? The one I have looks like it should be sitting atop something.

C

I have a two headed tiki that is at the top of, what I'm sure is, a carved tourist dagger piece that I'm guessing might be from Tahiti/Marquesas:

I'm just now reading this thread... Coincidentally I discovered a two-headed tiki in Hollywood, Florida, today around noon as I was walking to lunch at nearby Le Tub.

The two-headed tiki was carved out of the Y of a tree, therefore two heads. It is on display along the sidewalk in front of Joe's Tiki Bar, Grill, and Sushi. It appears to be a real party place at night. I did not get a photo of the tiki, cuz I was not impressed with the place from a tiki perspective, and I was in a hurry to get to lunch. But I did notice it cuz it is unusual.

http://www.joestikibar.us/

Don't worry if you never see this place -- it's a mix of authentic tiki stuff, but 95% "Florida tiki" and not real true tiki. Still, there are interesting things to see like the main building is of real palm frond thatch construction. Drinks looked like they would be typical sports bar quality. A number of carved tikis are on site, a number of which are painted bright colors.

Worth seeing? Kinda, but don't worry if you miss it. Next door, however, the tiny Le Tub is a must-see for me when I'm in Fort Lauderdale. Their 13-oz burgers are top notch, and the waterfront seating offers killer views of an inland waterway. Today a bright green local iguana crawled along the wooden railing alongside the waterfront, stopped at our table, and we hand-fed him lettuce which was provided by one of the restaurant's servers.

Ok, I'm way off topic.... Back to the Hukilau festivities for me! :)

Thanks AceExplorer. Waiter, I'll have what he's having.

On 2016-06-10 14:57, AceExplorer wrote:

Next door, however, the tiny Le Tub is a must-see for me when I'm in Fort Lauderdale. Their 13-oz burgers are top notch, and the waterfront seating offers killer views of an inland waterway. Today a bright green local iguana crawled along the wooden railing alongside the waterfront, stopped at our table, and we hand-fed him lettuce which was provided by one of the restaurant's servers.

Ok, I'm way off topic.... Back to the Hukilau festivities for me! :)

Ahhh. Le Tub. I've only been once. Dead of Florida summer. Seated outside. No shade. And it was a 3 hour ordeal. I think they only grill like 6 or 8 burgers at a time and this was shortly after Oprah or GQ or someone "influential" sang it's praise, so it was freakin' packed and miserable. I don't remember the burger at all but I recall the sun burn and the $50 tab for sodas since they serve em in individual cans at several bucks a pop and we had to have had like a dozen or more trying to keep cool. Pretty sure we went to Jaxson's after.

Sorry to further diverge this thread from it's topic.

On 2016-06-09 18:26, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
I wondered if you can tell me what that doubled headed tiki illustration in the book is mounted on?

I finally give up. No idea...I looked through all these and none had that piece in it.

My guess is a stopper. In PNG they used to grind stuff with a mortar and store it in baskets with carved figural stoppers. That reference picture looks like it's sticking out of sometinhgg like that.

Buzzy Out!

On 2016-06-11 12:36, mikehooker wrote:
Ahhh. Le Tub. I've only been once. Dead of Florida summer. Seated outside. No shade. And it was a 3 hour ordeal. I think they only grill like 6 or 8 burgers at a time and this was shortly after Oprah or GQ or someone "influential" sang it's praise, so it was freakin' packed and miserable. I don't remember the burger at all but I recall the sun burn and the $50 tab for sodas since they serve em in individual cans at several bucks a pop and we had to have had like a dozen or more trying to keep cool. Pretty sure we went to Jaxson's after.

Sorry to further diverge this thread from it's topic.

Mike, I totally believe you, they do get slammed even in the middle of the week. The burgers are AWESOME, glad you made it there, too bad you don't remember the food. About half the tables are in the shade of the trees, so you either get baked or you get wet if it rains, ha... But the heat during the summer and the bright sun can suck. They do have a decent amount of indoor dining under the tin roof, but we go for the tables on the water. I want to kayak a bit north of that area someday - really stunning waterways mingled in among the developed areas.

Our trick this time at Le Tub was to get there 30 minutes before their 11am opening, walk around a bit and explore, then grab a table along the waterway at around 11:15. It was shaded and pleasant thanks to all the trees. The burgers were brunch for us, it worked out well.

Pages: 1 8 replies