Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New Sitting Area in Yard

Pages: 1 0 replies

One project I've been working on is this small seating area in a spot near my pool. We built a small shed in the corner of the yard last year, which required that I moved this trellis swing about 20 feet over so it could be seen from the “tiki” side of the yard and maybe relate a little better to what’s going on over there.

There’s a small 5’ section of fence that serves as a decorative backdrop at the end of the pool – there’s a large tiki in front of this. Prior to this project, I used to just throw pulled weeds and crap behind the fence, but now that the swing is behind it, you don’t want people seeing that trash, so I had to think of something better…

Being over 20 years old, the swing looks pretty good as is; I had a couple of small hydrangeas nearby (I had to move one that was behind the swing) – I also had some large rocks, a Target tiki (the bottom broke off) an unused chiminaria and some old bench seats from a picnic table. I took all this stuff and made a flower bed and a little seating area—just a little shady quiet spot where you can sit and view the pool or the tiki bar on the deck.

Since the tiki was broken at the bottom, I just buried it in the ground at a slight angle – it looks kinda neat this way – like an old ruin you’d come across in the jungle. I need to add some more plants and maybe a few small candles/torches, but the effect is pretty cool. Practical too – since my wife says she can now send the smokers back here to relax…

Pages: 1 0 replies