Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 6-22-16 Birthdays

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 22, 2016

On today’s show we are going to celebrate the birthdays of several of the generous musical artists whose joined us on planet earth during the jolificational month of June.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Pinetop's Boogie Woogie,” composed by our Birthday Boy Clarence “Pinetop” Smith and performed in 1961 by Speckled Red – a/k/a Rufus Perryman – and appearing on that institutional interlude titled: Classic Piano Blues: From Smithsonian Folkways.

2. “Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet” inked by Don Raye and Gene De Paul for the 1944 movie: Broadway Rhythm, was waxed in 1944 by the queenly canary Maxine Sullivan, backed by our Natal Notable Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra, and appears on Sullivan’s soigne’ CD: The “Le Ruban Bleu” Years – The Complete Recordings 1944-49 -- Le Ruban Bleu being a New York City nightclub where she regularly performed.

3. “I Ain't Gettin' Nowhere Fast” taken from the bodacious box set: Cab Calloway & His Orchestra -- Volume 2, 1939-1940, featuring our Birthday Celebrants Doc Cheatham on Trumpet and Milt Hinton on Bass along with Chu Berry on Tenor Sax and Cozy Cole on Drums.

4. “Don’t Take Your Love Away From Me” was sung by our Birthday Girl Lena Horne in 1941 and appears on clarinetical collection: The Best of Artie Shaw.

5. “Ridin' Easy,” recorded in 1944 and appears on the righteous retrospective by the Pianist and titled: Jess Stacy and Friends, featuring our Birthday Boy Specs Powell – who started out his musical career as a pianist – on Drums.

6. “Bianca” was composed by our Natal Notable Cole Porter for his 1948 Broadway musical: Kiss Me, Kate and was recorded in 1949 by the singer Sarah Vaughan with Joe Lippman & His Orchestra and Bill Rowland on Piano. This was drawn with swizzle sticks from her reliquarious retrospective: Young Sassy.

7. “Mean Pretty Mama” was performed in 1946 by Slim Gaillard with the able assistance of Howard McGhee on Trumpet our June Birthday Boy Lucky Thompson on Tenor Sax and Clarinet, found on the bumptious box set: Laughing in Rhythm.

8. “It’s Better to Give Than to Receive,” was preached by our Birthday Girl Helen Humes in 1945 and appears on her outstanding album: Blue and Sentimental, featuring Willie Smith on Alto Sax, Lester Young on Tenor Sax (he usually played alto), Dave Barbour on Guitar and Snooky Young on Trumpet.

9. “I Should Care,” the 1944 song by Axel Stordahl and Paul Weston with lyrics by our Birthday Boy Sammy Cahn, was sung by Johnny Hartman on his 1959 luscious LP: And I Thought About You, arranged and conducted by Rudy Traylor.

10. “Cheek to Cheek,” written by Irving Berlin for the 1935 Fred Astaire movie: Top Hat and nominated for an Academy Award, was performed by The Red Norvo Trio on their 1950 popping production titled: Move, with Red Norvo on Vibes, our Birthday Celebrant Tal Farlow on Electric Guitar and Charles Mingus on Bass.

11. “Eu Vim Da Bahia (I Came From Bahia),” was composed by Gilberto Gil and performed by his fellow Brazilian and our Birthday Boy Joao Gilberto on his carioca compact disc: Joao Voz e Violao, which was produced by Caetano Velosa.

12. “The Baron,” which was the nickname Charles Mingus gave himself, was written and performed on Bass Clarinet by our Birthday Celebrant Eric Dolphy on his 1959 lipsome LP: Out There, featuring Ron Carter on Cello, George Duvivier on Bass and Roy Haynes on Drums.

13. “Surrey With the Fringe on Top,” was composed by our Birthday Boy Richard Rodgers with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II for their groundbreaking 1943 Broadway musical: Oklahoma! and was sung by our Birthday Girl Tierney Sutton on her scintillacious CD: I’m With the Band, recorded live at Birdland in New York City in 2005, with Christian Jacob on Piano, Trey Henry and Kevin Axt on String Bass and Ray Brinker on Drums.

14. “Tin Tin Deo,” inked by Gil Fuller and the extraordinary Cuban musician Chano Pozo, was assayed by The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Sextet on their 1965 Caribbean flecked production: Calypso Blues, spotlighting our Natal Numinary Sahib Shihab on Flute, along with Kenny Clarke on Drums, Belgian Francy Boland on Piano and arrangement, Fats Sadi on Bongo Drums, Jimmy Woode Jr. on Bass and Joe Harris on Percussion.

15. “Serenade to Nalani” was composed and played by Steel Guitar Master Jerry Byrd on his 1976 edificational album: Steel Guitar Hawaiian Style, which included our June Birthday Boy Benny Kalama on Rhythm Guitar and Ukulele, Atta Isaacs on Slack Key, 6- and 12-String Guitars and Norman Issacs on Bass.

16. “The Best Thing for You,” also composed by Irving Berlin, this time for his 1950 Broadway musical: Call Me Madam, was sung by the late Mark Murphy on his 1991 incomparable compact disc: One for Junior, with our June Natal Notable Kenny Barron on Piano, Julia Stewart also on Vocals and Harvie Swartz on Bass.

Pages: 1 0 replies