Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this witco or worth it?

Pages: 1 13 replies

I know there is an "Is this witco?" Thread somewhere but I'm having a weirdly hard time finding it.
Anyway. This gorgeous fountain is on the local craigslist and I'm not sure if it's worth the $100 the fella is asking. Any information? The paint on the eyes and tongue is throwing me off.

It's worth way more than that. Some knuckle head just repainted it.

Go get it!

Buzzy Out!

T

Sorry Jack you're to late. I saw it the first night it was up called him and and sent him a check to buy it. I won't be able to pick it up until after Tiki Kon though.

Hey! I'm glad it went to one of us!

tikicoma post some better pix of that thing when you get it home!

T

Cool tiki.
The bowl and hands look odd.
Maybe it's just a different style than mine.

Worth what you paid for sure.

Picked it up Saturday...

Seems to be in remarkable shape except for the cut hoses and lack of pump... and of course the paint.
Any one have experience/ideas on the best way to remove it?

That is for sure a rare fountain, congrats! Would love to see somebody post a catalog pic of it. But why are there so many pump hoses, and why are they sticking up through the bowls?

As far as the paint, I have used orange stripper with good success on Witco in the past. Use a wire brush & finish off with wax. Stripping & scrubbing should bring back the nice burnt finish, but if the color is way off you can use a small bit of special walnut color stain before waxing.

8T

Please tell me you are not going to keep it outside.

T

8FT- Would that be bad? I mean its made to get wet right? But it will spend the summer outside to be stored covered and off the ground in my garden shed when the weather turns in the fall. I've also put it in a more shaded spot on the patio it's out of the direct sun and is off the ground though it may not look it. It needs some fresh air... it reeks of cigarette smoke!

Happy B- Thanks for the info and I've been looking and thinking about the hoses and I think I know whats going on. If you look at the bowls you'll notice they aren't designed to spill the water over the edge so what I think is supposed happen is the tubes are pushed down so their tops are at the level you want the water to fill up to flowing through the tubes filling the lower bowl then going through that bowls hoses into the bucket below then pumped back up to the tongue.

I'd love to see a catalog picture of this fountain and find out what years it was made. I've searched Tiki Central, Tiki Modern and the internet with no luck, not even a picture of another one like it! What I was told was the family who owned it was in Everett (north of Seattle) and his aunt lived in Sedro-Wooley (even farther north the home to Witco) and they've had it since the 50's or early 60's.

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2016-07-17 21:06 ]

No, it's def rare. Like a cross between their 2 popular mid-size tiki fountains. I see what you mean about the hoses; they are just tiny pieces of hose protecting the wood, & not visible or connected to anything when pushed down level.
Great fountain; enjoy it!

[ Edited by: happy buddha 2016-07-18 06:06 ]

Witco in sunlight fades the color really bad. I absolutely would not leave it where it was sun/water exposed.

T

I replaced the pump, filled some cracks in the laminates in the lower bowl and away we go...

Added some shells to make a trickling waterfall effect.

Gonna wait on working on paint removal, I'm enjoying it as it is for now!

aloha, tikicoma

Pages: 1 13 replies