Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Announcing, 9th annual Surf Guitar101 Convention,So Cal 1week before Tiki Oasis,Feat Tikiyaki 5-0

Pages: 1 14 replies

Announcing the 9th annual 2016 Surf Guitar 101 Convention!
Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the SurfGuitar101.com website

Performing Live:
The Phantom Four, featuring John Blair (Netherlands/U.S.A.)
Messer Chups (Russia)
The Bradipos IV (Italy)
George Tomsco of The Fireballs (New Mexico)
The Space Cossacks reunion (DC)
The Mach IV reunion (NorCal)
Tikiyaki 5-0 (So-Cal)
Crazy Aces (Tennessee)
Kelp (Santa Barbara)
The Secret Samurai (San Diego)

PLUS a tribute to The Original Surfaris
and the annual Legends of Surf jam, featuring many 60s surf band members

When? This all takes place on Saturday, August 13th, 2016 12 PM - midnight
Where? The Alpine Village, Steinhaus Beer Hall
http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/alpine-steinhaus/
833 W. Torrance Blvd. Torrance, Ca. 90502

Located off of the 110 freeway, just one exit South of the 405 freeway

Here is the FB Event page Link for the 9th annual Surf Guitar 101 convention:
https://m.facebook.com/events/568487539978936

John Okanishi wrote on FB:
thinking about SG101 Convention:

John wrote: "Recently BigTikiDude did a FB promotion for his upcoming Surf Guitar 101 Convention touting the food of the new venue. He asked me what I thought and I said "Dude, why are you talking about the food ?? You should be talking about the bands !!" He then replied if I could give my personal hand at that. Here goes... So if I didn't know better, I would have thought the flyer for next month's SG101 Convention was a photo-shopped April's Fools joke. It's so real though, that it's UNREAL !! The Phantom Four, from the Netherlands, are a follow-up to the Treble Spankers whose mid-90's albums are considered to be among the best of the Third Wave of Surf Music. They're joined by John Blair who pretty much single handedly kickstarted the Second Wave revival in the early 80's with his legendary band, Jon & the Nightriders. This will be the Phantom Four's first time in the U.S. !! We'll also get to see a reunion of the Space Cossacks, who were one of the preeminent bands of Surf Music's post-"Pulp Fiction" peak. They're probably even more popular today as many fans (like me) have discovered their music through their posthumous greatest hits "Never Mind the Bolsheviks". Exene Cervenka of X showed up at the 2010 Convention to see them, and I heard that the Dead Kennedy's Jello Biafra told SC's lead guitarist Ivan Pongracic that the set Ivan did in a side project with John Blair in Nor Cal a few weeks ago was one of the best Surf Music performances he had ever experienced !! A band that many of us never thought we'd see on U.S. soil is Messur Chups from Russia. They're a great example of an international band that's taken Surf Music as an inspiration and have created an eclectic sound that surpasses genres. I think this is the band that will bring in a greater audience to this year's Convention. Also having the super sexy and talented "Bettie Page-esque" Zombierella on bass won't hurt. I'm also looking forward to seeing again the 3rd international band on the line-up, the Bradipos IV from Italy, who were a highlight of the 2011 Convention. A band that hasn't played in a while is San Diego's Secret Samurai. It's always a kick to be with people who haven't seen them before. I remember being at a Huntington Beach Pier show with casual Surf Music fans who exclaimed "Who ARE these guys ?? !!" after SS's set. At a San Diego show attended by visiting bands from the U.S. South, I saw Surf musicians' (all extremely proficient in their own right) jaws drop in astonishment at guitarist Ryan Ruiz's masterful playing. And bringing in the Exotica crossover is Jim Bacchi's Tikiyaki 5-0, playing the main event for the first time (finally !!) And this isn't even the full bill, only the bands I'm most familiar with. After every Convention, people always exclaim "That was the best !! How is BigTikiDude gonna top that ??" Well this year he did it again, and to the nth-degree. To make the Convention even more special is this year's first time surreal venue of Alpine Village in Torrance (I'm wearing my lederhosen). And yes the food there is very good.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2016-09-05 22:08 ]

Looking like we'll be getting there early and staying late once again. Great line-up Jeff. Also looking forward to the preview show on Fiberglass Jungle.

Mahalo!

kevin

Yes, the SG101 con. Preview show on Jonpaul's Fiberglass Jungle Show
On http://www.Luxuriamusic.com will be this Sat. From 2-4 pm pacific time.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2016-07-12 20:41 ]

I will be on Jonpaul's Fiberglass Jungle show today sat.from 2-4 pm pacific time, playing all the bands of the Surf Guitar 101 convention, please listen in at
http://www.luxuriamusic.com

The Fiberglass Jungle show was a great show previewing a great show.
But please watch those Freudian slips!

Ha! Sorry Bill!

If anybody missed the Fiberglass Jungle show on last Sat.
Where we played all of the bands playing the SG101 convention,
you can listen to it in the archives area:
http://www.luxuriamusic.com/audio/by/title/fiberglass_jungle

Little over a week away.

This Saturday! Looking forward to the line-up and the new venue.

And for those that haven't heard, Tikiyaki 5-0 will be debuting a new 6-song EP at the SG101 convention. You know, in case you needed another reason to get out to Alpine Village.

kevin

Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks to those who came,
It seems more tiki people from out of state than
Local, but I'll take whoever straggles in. :wink:

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 28, 2016 11:48 AM

GROG was in Hawaii.

Great timing,
Priorities,
Hawaii is there every week,
This is once a year.

I'm still slowly recovering from the 1-2 punch of the Surf Guitar 101 Convention and Tiki Oasis weekends.
I'd like to thank all of the people that came, the bands that played, the volunteers who helped,
And the great staff at the Alpine Village. Great Venue (hope to keep the event there for many years)

Since Tiki Oasis is moving 1 week earlier next year.
I'll be moving the Surf Guitar 101 convention earlier also.
2017 will be the 10th year anniversary of the Convention.
So it will be a 2 night show. Friday August 4th will be all the best So. Cal. bands.
And Saturday August 5th will be a huge all star line up of many International bands,
and bands from around the USA, And hopefully a few really big name bands from So. Cal. as headliners.

I hope many people will consider coming, As it will be the biggest and best Surf Guitar 101 convention yet.
And possibly make it a 2 weekend trip, as the Tiki Oasis theme "International Espionage" will surely
Make it a not to miss event also.

I hope to announce the band line up shortly after Jan. 1st.
But I just wanted to give everybody a heads up on the date change for next year.

Thanks to all the loyal yearly attendees,and to all of the 1st time attendees this year.
Jeff Hanson(bigtikidude)
Founder & Organizer of the Surf Guitar 101 Convention.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2016-09-05 22:30 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies