Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Plantation Dark in Florida

Pages: 1 9 replies

Looks like Total Wine has stopped carrying Plantation Dark rum in Florida and all my other local stores don't carry Plantation of any variety. Any suggestions?

J

At this price it might be worth paying the shipping on a few bottles.

https://www.hitimewine.net/plantation-80pf-original-dark-rum-750-103939

Also, I wonder if they're just waiting on new stock. The bottle on the left is the old label, the picture is from the Hi Time website. The bottle on the right is from the Plantation website. I don't think I've ever seen the one on the right before, but it does appear to be more in line with the branding of their newest products.

The bottle on the right has been available for a few months here in Austin. I'm almost through with the old label bottle. Anyone know if there's any difference in the blend or is this strictly rebranding?

T

After I heard they were discontinuing these, I stocked up the other day, heavier on the overproof version, but all they had for the 80 was the new label as shown on the right.

I will have to compare them at some point, but I expect them to be the same. but who knows?

[ Edited by: tabuzak 2016-08-12 17:59 ]

I think it is the same rum just different label, although I have not seen the new label to try it.

The right labeled bottle has been available in Michigan for a few months now as well.

My local Total Wine shows five different Plantation rums are still available for in-store pickup. I tried putting some into my cart and was successful. Maybe this is just an out-of-stock condition at a few stores waiting for the distributor to re-stock their warehouse?

According to the TW web site, the following stores within 200 miles of me currently have one or more Plantation rums in stock:

Daytona Beach
Altamont Springs
Orlando (Colonial Plaza)
Orlando (Millenia Plaza)
Melbourne (Viera)
Brandon
Tampa
Clearwater
St. Petersburg
Charleston SC

Hope this helps someone. Drink until your liver looks like a raisin!

They have Plantation rums out the metric yang, but not the dark. The website does not list it and the as-usual-less-then-helpful store clerk said that it is not in their computer. I checked at the Total Wine on Colonial and they gave me the same story.

[ Edited by: TikiHardBop 2016-08-15 14:50 ]

On 2016-08-15 14:48, TikiHardBop wrote:
They have Plantation rums out the metric yang, but not the dark. The website does not list it and the as-usual-less-then-helpful store clerk said that it is not in their computer. I checked at the Total Wine on Colonial and they gave me the same story.
[ Edited by: TikiHardBop 2016-08-15 14:50 ]

Good catch, thanks!

Btw, what is a metric yang? I'm familiar with the Imperial yang, but not the metric one. :)

S

It' s not just a rebranding, but a different rum. Whereas the old one (on the left) used to be a Trinidad rum, the new bottling (on the right) is a blend of Trinidad and Jamaica rums. Before bottling, the blend enjoys a second maturation in Cognac casks. The price of the two bottlings is nearly the same. Here in Germany, the old bottling seems to be no longer available, except from the overproof bottling.

Greetings, Semyon

Pages: 1 9 replies