Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 8-17-16 Two Lyricists

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: August 17, 2016

On today’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show we delve deeply into the wide work product of two lapidarian lyricists who were born in the month of August: Ned Washington, who was best known for his work on songs written for Hollywood productions, and Alan Jay Lerner, whose collaborations with the composers Frederick Loewe and Burton Lane are justly legendary.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You,” the 1932 song that was a monster hit, composed by Victor Young, who also was born in August, Ned Washington and Bing Crosby, whose contribution to the lyrics was so negligible that he later said his only career regret was not having written a hit song. This was found on Der Bingle’s bulging box set: Easy to Remember.

2. The 1932 song inked by George Bassman and Ned Washington, “I'm Getting Sentimental Over You,” was committed to a shellacking in 1947 by Dr. Horace Q. Birdbath, Dick Morgan, George Rock and The Barefooted Pennsylvanians, and was drawn with tongs from the auditory loony bin titled: Strictly for Music Lovers – Spike Jones & His City Slickers.

3. “On Green Dolphin Street” was written by Bronislau Kaper and Ned Washington for the 1947 movie of the same name and comes from the unsequalized CD: The Essential Resophonics, Volume I – Evening in the Islands.

4. “A Hundred Years From Today,” the 1933 song by Victor Young, Ned Washington and Joe Young, was sung for us in 1947 by Sarah Vaughan with alto saxophonist George Auld and His Orchestra, arranged by Tadd Dameron, including Roy Kral on Piano, Serge Challoff on Baritone Sax, Art Roth on Tenor Sax, Barry Galbraith on Guitar, Ed Cunningham on Bass and Art Madigan on Drums. That was taken from the sophisticational set: Young Sassy.

5. “Gigi” was performed by Louis Jourdan in the 1958 movie of the same name composed by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, and was derived from the glittery conglomeration: Somewhere Over the Rainbow: The Golden Age of Hollywood Musicals.

6. “On the Street Where You Live” from the musical My Fair Lady by Lerner & Loewe, was adventuresomely assayed by Quincy Jones in his 1962 luxurious LP: Big Band Bossa Nova – The Newest Latin American Rhythm, featuring Phil Woods on Alto Sax, Paul Gonsalves on Tenor Sax, Clark Terry on Trumpet, Roland Kirk on and Jerome Richardson on Flutes, Lalo Schifrin on Piano, Jim Hall on Guitar, Chris White on Bass, Rudy Collins on Drums, and Jack Del Rio, Carlos Gomez and Jose Paula on Percussion.

7. “I'm Glad I'm Not Young Any More,” also by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe from their score for “Gigi” delicately derived from the singer Mabel Mercer’s 1958 languorous LP: Once in a Blue Moon, with the orchestra and strings conducted by George Cory.

8. “When You Wish Upon a Star,” the classic by Leigh Harline and Ned Washington for the 1940 Walt Disney Animated Movie: Pinocchio, is from the incomparable compact disc: Two for Brazil Goes to the Movies, sung and played on acoustic guitar by Paulinho Garcia, with Greg Fishman on Flute.

9. “Almost Like Being in Love” was written by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe for the 1947 Broadway musical: Brigadoon, and appears on the singer’s 1956 debut LP titled Chris Connor, accompanied by John Lewis on Piano; Barry Galbraith on Electric Guitar; Oscar Pettiford on Bass; and Connie Kay on Drums.

10. “I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face,” from the 1956 Lerner & Loewe Broadway musical: My Fair Lady, recorded by Tony Bennett and The Count Basie Orchestra, and appearing on the erotical compilation: In the Mood for Love.

11. “Come Back to Me” was composed by Burton Lane and Alan Jay Lerner for 1965 Broadway musical: On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, sung by Shirley Horn accompanying herself on Piano along with Charles Ables on Bass and Steve Williams on Drums for her 1991 outstanding album: You Won’t Forget Me.

12. “Get Me to the Church on Time,” also from Lerner & Loewe’s My Fair Lady, was waxed in 1956 for the lively LP by the drummer: Shelley Manne & Friends, Volume 1. Featured musicians include a 26-year-old Andre Previn on Piano and Leroy Vinnegar on Bass.

13. “Stella By Starlight,” written by Victor Young and Ned Washington for the 1944 movie: The Uninvited, was vocalized by Anita O’Day backed by a superb Japanese big band on her ambulatory album: Live in Tokyo ’63.

14. “Town Without Pity,” the Oscar-nominated song composed by Dimitri Tiomkin and Ned Washington for the 1961 movie of the same name, sung by Gene Pitney and located on the cornucopious collection: Ultra-Lounge Mondo Hollywood – Movie Madness From Tinsel Town.

15. “The Nearness of You,” composed by Hoagy Carmichael and Ned Washington and used in the 1938 John Barrymore movie: Romance in the Dark, performed by the legendary ukulele master Bill Tapia in a 2005 concert when he was 98 years old, accompanied Ruth Davies on Bass and included on his senior CD: Livin’ It Live.

Pages: 1 0 replies