Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Thistle Glassware

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hi I have been searching out this glass that keeps coming up in old photos to no avail, and I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the glass, who might of made it or if there are any company's that might still make it. The glass I am referring to is the one in the middle with the umbrella, that is reminiscent to a hurricane glass. thanks for any help

[ Edited by: ZombieZach89 2016-08-31 18:08 ]

On 2016-08-30 19:43, ZombieZach89 wrote:
Hi I have been searching out this glass that keeps coming up in old photos to no avail, and I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the glass, who might of made it or if there are any company's that might still make it. The glass I am referring to is the one in the middle with the umbrella, that is reminiscent to a hurricane glass. thanks for any help

Zombie, I have a couple of very similar glasses that I picked up at a thrift or yard sale- I forget where. I’ll post a pic as soon as I find where I have em stashed. Don’t use them much cuz they are on the frail side and I’m rough on my barware. Don’t know what the proper name is for them but I will try to find out.
Cheers

That looks like a version of a thistle glass. Kegworks has something similar for about $11. Good luck!

Have you checked the thrift stores? Maybe it's because I'm in FL, but I find quite a few of these in the goodwill for a buck or less each. I've got about 5....couple from T-REX, one from Planet Hollywood, one from Jupiter Crab and a plain one. This is actually one of the T-REX ones with the painted logo to the back.....

Wish I knew how to remove the screenprint from them without damaging the glass or possibly poisoning myself. I got lucky with a short hurricane glass from Burt Reynolds Jupiter Theater....stuck it in the dishwasher and the logo just came right off!!

howlinowl

I agree, it's not exactly a Hurricane Glass.

Howlinowl is also correct - check thrift shops. If you're not too insistent on that EXACT "thistle" design and can settle for the more common gurricane glass, then larger thrift shops are awesome at about a buck apiece. Same is true for coupe glasses aka "champagne saucers." And "Nick and Nora" glasses as well.

I've spent some time looking up the printing on glassware. Very little of the glassware out there will have their designs rub or wash off in a dishwasher, according to my web research. I've seen the process described as "colored glass powders" which are baked in and fused to the glass itself. This is very durable and impervious to most solvents except maybe hydrofluoric acid etchant.

ZombieZach89 - This thread title would be better renamed to something else, as it's quite casual and vague. How about "Hurricane or Thistle Glassware?" Do this for the benefit of those who will be searching in Tiki Central for this info in the future. And in Google.

Cheers!

Tc’ers come in again.
Cheers

Pages: 1 5 replies