Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki shop at the Red Rooster Antique Mall in Las Vegas

Pages: 1 27 replies

After all the disappointment we've heard on post after post on Taboo Cove and how the tiki-ness sucks in Las Vegas - here's some happy news...

While doing a day of thrifting in Vegas I went to the Red Rooster Antique and Gift Mall - a fairly old establishment in the city. Imagine my happy surprise when i heard the faint sound of Hawaiian music coming from around a corner and then stumbled into a room filled with tiki stuff!!! There were a ton of vintage mugs and carvings, new Tiki Farm merchandise, tiki prints and more... there was also a fair share of vintage loungy stuff and 8 track tapes from the same dealer. So when in town, plan to stop in and support this seller.
address is 1109 Western Ave.
702-382-5253
M-Sat 10-6
Sun 11-5

by the way - there was also a 10 foot tall carved styrofoam tiki for sale for $99 in the same antique mall.

Hey Futura! Are you here in Las Vegas all the time or do you divide your time between LV and SoCal?

W

The Tiki collection at Red Rooster is nice, but, as I posted before, don't go there looking for bargains. Everything's priced at top dollar. The dealer had a few unusual items (some concrete Tikis, large wood "Suffering Bastard" carvings), but it may not be worth your time if you're only in town for a short weekend. On the other hand, if you hit one junk shop in Le Vegas it should be Red Rooster. Again, no real deals, but a helluva lotta stuff. And I always get to hear dealers complaining about customers, one of my favorite experiences when junking.

basically, i'm up here until the house is finished and ready for a roommate. if you know anyone looking for a cool 1950s house to live in - we're gonna have it. we'll be renting it as a room - but when we're not around - which will be alot of the time - the roommate basically gets to live in a cool vintage furnished home with completely private pool (for the price of a room).
the interior is almost done and then we start the exterior.

the red rooster is a great antique mall. and yes, prices in 'antique malls are always top dollar compared to thrifting and garage sale-ing, but you also get a higher ratio of cool stuff to pick from in a shorter amount of time and space. i do most of my shopping at garage sales and thrift store, but sometimes it's fun to splurge at the antique store.

and besides... it's one of very our own tiki centralite's stores - and an official supplier of tiki farm here in vegas.

so when you get tired of the strip and wanna see a little local color - head to the downtown arts district for some slummin'

Futura Girl wrote:
basically, i'm up here until the house is finished and ready for a roommate. if you know anyone looking for a cool 1950s house to live in - we're gonna have it.

Have you talked to HulaHula yet? This may be a great place for him! Email or call me (if you still have the number) or PolyPop and we'll give you HulaHula's number.

and besides... it's one of very our own tiki centralite's stores - and an official supplier of tiki farm here in vegas.

The Red Rooster is a TC member? What name do they go by?

HH

Im still alive!!!!!! call me, I'm actually intrested , i've so got to get out of my dads place.

What Centralite has the Tiki space at Red Rooster? I've never seen anyone promoting it. (And it is a swell collection. Plus they have Exotica playing...On 8-Track I think...A nice break from the standard moldies on the radio in the rest of the mall.) There is that one young fellow (sorry young fellow, I forgot your name) (and "young fellow" isn't a put down...I write it with envy) whose mom sells at Red Rooster, but I didn't think she has the Tiki space.

Well, I just assumed Tiki Lee (from Red Rooster) is one and the same as vegastikidude here on tiki central, but correct me if I'm wrong?
I found out that we met Tiki Lee at Mondo Tiki. He had the booth at next to Chiki Tiki...

p.s.
we'll see you saturday hula hula... now don't go disappearing on us :)

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-08-22 01:05 ]

Sorry futura,

But I'm not Tiki Lee from the Red Rooster. I have been in there several times, actually, I've been looking around in there for years, and yes, there is a pretty good collection of Tiki Items there. They have much more (tiki-wise) to look at there than the other antique malls. Other meaning, the Sampler Shops at Tropicana & Jones and the Antique Mall on East Flamingo (east of Maryland Parkway). Perhaps we can all meet up at the next Tiki Event here in Las Vegas.

Hey Everybody, now I AM a member of Tiki Central! All this "posting" is new to me, so forgive me if I make a mess of it...
Thanks a MILLION for all the kind things that I've just been reading about "Tiki Lee's", my "Tiki Room" at The Red Rooster Antique Mall. I really, really try to make it something different than the same old crusty rooms that usually are the norm in these places. I'm always changing things around, too, because there's always something I forgot to do or haven't got around to doing yet.
By the way, Wolfmutt hit "it" right on the head; since the place is dealer staffed, I'm always stuck listening to the old farts complaining about customers, other dealers, how hot it is, how cold it is, who's friggin' hip replacement was worse, who blew out their "depens" the other day, and on and on. But folks, I gotta tell ya, we aren't ALL like that. There's a nice handful of us that are NOT retired yet, and are usually kinda cool to deal with. Next time you're there, look for someone UNDER 60 to help you. We really are there, usually hiding from the gaseous cloud of Ben-Gay that marks the location of the "complainers".
Hey, I hope that you all get to come to our Labor Day Weekend Sale. Everything in the whole Mall will be %15 off, unless it's all ready been marked down, or marked "firm". But here's a little secret, straight from me to you (shhhh- it's just between us Tiki-Philes): Even if the item IS all ready marked down or marked "firm", if the item is over $25, have one of the dealers call the person who is selling the item. Odds are that the seller will give you something off anyway. We want to sell, sell, sell, folks. Talk to us and you just may get the deal you want!
I'm there on Fridays. VegasTikiDude and HulaHula (& anyone else for that matter), come on in and introduce yourselves! I'm tired of feeling like there's no one else in Vegas besides me that truly loves Tiki.

Thanks again for all the compliments, everyone. I hope to see ya there!

Hey Tiki Lee's! I've been meaning to join Tiki Central for over a year now - I usually just hang out in the fringes and read posts - it was your post that prompted me to stop my procrastinatin'! Your description of the "old farts" at Red Rooster had me doubling over with laughter - my wife used to work at an antique mall, and man, you are spot on, especially about the gaseous Ben Gay cloud. She finally had to quit. Besides the fact that she kept spending her entire paycheck there, she was slowly being driven insane. We are planning a trip to Vegas in October and will definitely check out your space - sounds great.

VERY COOL PLACE. WAS THERE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, ONE QUESTION THOUGH, WHEN IN THE ROOM THERE IS SOME PRINTS ON THE WALLS (ONE OF THEM WAS A TIKI STRIP CLUB) WHO IS THE ARTIST?? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU
[email protected]

TR

Aloha and welcome to Tiki Central!
I remember seeing a Tiki print on ebay awhile back by an artist from Arizona...Mr. Crafty. It had a Tiki strip club in it. I have the "Kona Lanes" and "Zombie Cove" prints.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...

C

On 2003-09-03 09:50, Tiki Rider Five-O wrote:
I remember seeing a Tiki print on ebay awhile back by an artist from Arizona...Mr. Crafty. It had a Tiki strip club in it. I have the "Kona Lanes" and "Zombie Cove" prints.

Mr. Crafty is here in Phoenix, nice guy, cool retro home, some of his furniture is in his works. He sells his prints on eBay, look up crafty tiki. If you are interested in more than a print or two, contact him and he will sell them at a fair price relative to the auctions and with the same number in the series.

While in Vegas last week I stopped by the Red Rooster and saw a huge palm tiki that was a bit worse for wear. Kind of neat piece though and maybe was a fixture somewhere in town. Also saw a large sea turtle shell for $200 or so.
The only thing I bought was a green sneaky tiki for $14. The tiki boutique in the mall was nice and worth a visit.

S
SES posted on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 4:47 PM

I love these. Was looking at them the other day. Glad someone else is mentioning him.

Here is the link to his stuff on ebay:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=mrcraftyart&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

K
Kono posted on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 8:06 PM

On 2003-10-27 16:47, SES wrote:
I love these. Was looking at them the other day. Glad someone else is mentioning him.

Here is the link to his stuff on ebay:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=mrcraftyart&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

I actually found this forum because of Mr. Crafty. I saw (and purchased some of) his stuff on ebay and I did a google search to learn more about him. Tiki Central came up because he's a registered member here. Apparently he's never posted though. This one's my favorite: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=360&item=3634253718

T

Just a heads up for everyone, I was in Vegas over the long holiday weekend and made a stop into the Red Rooster to see if there was anything new and exciting.

They had signs up advertising 20% off for a moving sale. Turns out they are not moving at all, but consolidating into a smaller portion of the building they now occupy.

There was still a bunch of cool stuff at Tiki Lee's, and I even picked up a nice little Orchids of Hawaii R-76 mug.

I have no idea how long the sale will be going on, but if you're in the area it's worth a peek.

T

On 2006-09-05 15:17, TikiDiego wrote:
Just a heads up for everyone, I was in Vegas over the long holiday weekend and made a stop into the Red Rooster to see if there was anything new and exciting.

There was still a bunch of cool stuff at Tiki Lee's, and I even picked up a nice little Orchids of Hawaii R-76 mug.

Doh! I was also in Vegas over Labor Day weekend. But I didn't see this thread or know about the Red Rooster antique mall. But we did go see the Aku Aku moai in Sunset Park. Don't know if the 10 hour drive back to San Diego (normally 4 1/2 hours) was worth it, though. I never saw I-15 like that before.

But I did find (but didn't buy for $35.00) a 6 mug rack that was shaped like an outrigger canoe at a antique store in Kingman, AZ. And picked up some Treasure Craft Pineapple S&P shakers for $2.00

Aloha!

Hey, I just thought I'd give you all the heads-up on The Rooster Moving Sale. The sale ends THIS SATURDAY, Sept. 16th. So get on down there and take advantage of the 20%-50% off. It's a HUGE savings that will NOT be repeated!

Also, I just opened up a "second location" at Main St. Antiques. It's between Downtown Vegas and the Outlet Mall. The address is 500 South Main St. It's very easy to find and there's plenty of parking. I've got different Tiki & retro stuff there than what I've got at The Rooster, so you'll have to go and take a look & see what else I've got! :) Also, all the good retro dealers from the Rooster moved there, so it's DEFINATELY worth the time to stop in and look around.

Mahaloz!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-09-12 10:12 ]

On 2003-08-15 22:04, Futura Girl wrote:
After all the disappointment we've heard on post after post on Taboo Cove and how the tiki-ness sucks in Las Vegas - here's some happy news...

While doing a day of thrifting in Vegas I went to the Red Rooster Antique and Gift Mall - a fairly old establishment in the city. Imagine my happy surprise when i heard the faint sound of Hawaiian music coming from around a corner and then stumbled into a room filled with tiki stuff!!! There were a ton of vintage mugs and carvings, new Tiki Farm merchandise, tiki prints and more... there was also a fair share of vintage loungy stuff and 8 track tapes from the same dealer. So when in town, plan to stop in and support this seller.
address is 1109 Western Ave.
702-382-5253
M-Sat 10-6

thanks for lettin' the cat outta the bag!!! red rooster was my favorite secret tiki shop in the mid nineties, way before the tiki shop showed up...I never told a soul about it ....i pulled alot of rare tiki collectables out of there for a song.....now it's ruined!!!!....ruined!!!!! sob .. sniffle ... whine*
Sun 11-5

M

Here´s how it looked inside in apr 2005.

[ Edited by: makutiki 2006-09-13 08:50 ]

Wow, great pics! I've forgotten about so much of that stuff, and now that I see it again, I want it all back!!! :)

By the way, The Red Rooster Antique Mall, as we know it, CLOSES THIS SATURDAY! Get yer keester down there and partake in the 20% to 50% off sale. This sale will NEVER be repeated, so don't miss out.

And, just in case you were wondering, I plan to leave my Tiki Room right where it is and rent from the incoming business owner. So don't worry about it dissappearing, it'll be there. Unless the unforseeable happens. If it does, then there's always Main Street Antiques!

Mahaloz everyone for all your past support!

M

I've enjoyed your little treasure chest. I'm glad to hear that you will remain open for business.
I'm droolin over the treasure chest fish tank...

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2006-09-27 16:51 ]

Pages: 1 27 replies