Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-14-16 Back to School

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 14, 2016

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we headed back to school with all the other pre- and post-pubescent pupils seeking knowledge and enlightenment in all of its vital and variegated variations.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “I’ve Got My Fingers Crossed,” recorded in 1935 by Fats Waller and included in the bulging box set: Handful of Keys.

2. “Can't You Read Between the Lines?” was performed in 1945 by Dolly Mitchell on Vocal fronting Kay Kyser & His Orchestra, with Lyman Gandee on Piano, drawn with swizzle sticks from the historical document: I've Heard That Song Before: Songs of Jule Styne.

3. “Feelin' No Pain (Learning New Customs)” was found on the 1992 twisted retelling of Christoper Columbus’ voyages of exploration from the New Leviathan Oriental Fox-Trot Orchestra titled: The Nina, The Pinta and the S.S. Leviathon.

4. “Sonny Boy,” which was composed by Ray Henderson, Bud De Sylva, and Lew Brown for Al Jolson’s 1928 early “talkie” movie: The Singing Fool, sung by Mel Torme in 1949 and found on his righteous retrospective: Sounds of the 20th Century – Love Me or Leave Me.

5. Composed in 1944 by Lena Machado, “Ku'u Wa Li'i Li'i (My Childhood Days)” comes from her lively look back:– Hawaiian Song Bird, and was recorded by her in 1962 in Los Angeles with Billy Hew Len on Steel Guitar, Cy Ludington on Guitar and Arranger Bennie Saks (Sakimaki) on Vibes.

6. “Punahoa Special” was recorded by the Hawaiian Slack-Key guitar master Led Kaapana on his scintillacious CD: Black Sand, which was produced by George Winston. Kaapana wrote this song to honor his uncle and teacher Fred Punahoa.

7. “The Gypsy in My Soul” was written in 1937 by Clay Boland and Moe Jaffe for the 50th anniversary of the University of Pennsylvania Mask and Wig Show, and was waxed by Doris Day on her 1957 diurnal LP: Day by Day, with the orchestra arranged and conducted by Paul Weston.

8. “Learnin’ the Blues,” the 1955 song by Dolores Vicki Silvers, comes from the 1959 admirational album: A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra by the Oscar Peterson Trio, recorded in Paris with Mr. Peterson on Piano, Ray Brown on String Bass, and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

9. “Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child,” recorded in 1955 by Julie London with her husband’s musical contingent, the Bobby Troup Quintet, featuring Howard Roberts on Guitar, Buddy Collette on Flute and Don Heath on Drums.Found on the incomparable collection: Bobby Troup Sings Troup, Mercer and More.

10. “God Bless the Child,” was written in 1939 by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog Jr., she is heard in this 1956 recording with Tony Scott & His Orchestra, found on the massive Germanic box set: Lady Sings the Blues.

11. Composed by George Wallington, “Godchild” was performed by The Bill Charlap Trio in 2007 and appears on their vital production: Live at the Village Vanguard, with Bill Charlap on Piano, Peter Washington on Bass and Kenny Washington on Drums.

12. “East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)” was written by Princeton University Undergraduate Brooks Bowman for the 1934 production of the Princeton Triangle Club that was titled Stags at Bay, and is sung for us by Tierney Sutton on her incomparable compact disc: I’m With the Band, accompanied by Christian Jacob on Piano, both Trey Henry and Kevin Axt on Bass and Ray Brinker on Drums. Recorded live at Birdland in New York City in 2005.

13. “A Laugh for Rory” came from the raucous retrospective: Does Your House Have Lions: The Rahsaan Roland Kirk Anthology. Recorded in 1967 for his lithesome LP: The Inflated Tear, this features Mr. Kirk on Talking Flute, Ron Burton on Piano, Steve Novosel on Bass and Jimmy Hopps on Drums.

14. “I Could Write a Book” was written by Rodgers & Hart for the 1940 musical: Pal Joey, and comes from the soundtrack CD for: When Harry Met Sally, waxed by Harry Connick Jr., arranged by Marc Sahirman.

15. “Museum Pieces,” which is drawn from the 1966 Manny Albam auspicious album: Soul of the City, spotlighting the talents of Phil Woods on Alto Sax, Mike Manieri on Vibes and Richard Davis on Bass.

Pages: 1 0 replies