Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anybody try the coconut cream recitpe from Smuggler's Cove book?

Pages: 1 3 replies

Didn't have any coconut creme left and felt like making Pina Coladas. Remembering that there was a recipe for coconut cream in the book, and my wife has some cans of coconut milk, I proceded to make it. That evening I made my pina coladas but the coconut taste was lacking.

The coconut milk we had on hand was Goya. The book mentions Thai kitchen brand by name. Also, it states that the milk will be solidified at the bottom. The Goya wasn't, but then again it was on a shelf in the garage (don't have enough room in the pantry for all the canned/jarred goods in the kitchen...overstock is just inside the garage) so it may have been warmer and not solidified.

After mixing, I put it in a bottle and placed it into the kegerator (set at 38 degrees). It never really thickened up like Coco Lopez does.....still pretty watery. Did anyone elses thicken up.

I was wondering what others results were. Next time I'll probably hunt down the Thai Kitchen brand of milk and try that.

howlinowl

I've been meaning to try the recipe myself but I haven't gotten around to it, I'll post when I do. I usually have high hopes for Cate's recipes, so I wonder if it was just the brand.

C

Heya, HowlinOwl, did you ever try the Thai Kitchen? Would love to know what you use today after having experimented with this recipe.

BTW, this is my first post, but I've been reading for years! Thanks to all of the posters who share what they know.

[ Edited by: charris 2018-03-26 18:45 ]

As I understand it, Lopez and Real both contain thickeners in addition to their basic components. The home recipe is probably going to supply the flavor but not the body.

Pages: 1 3 replies