Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Gas shortage in Phoenix

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

Anyone remember the lines at gas stations in the 70's? I barely do.

My boyfriend just called to say he'd been to 6 stations that were out of gas. He was lining up at the 7th as we spoke. Yikes!

Gas Pipeline shut down to Phoenix

S

Jeez,, I was working at a gas station in the 70's during the shortages. That really sucked.In Oregon, there was, and still is, NO SELF-SERVICE. When it got close to closing time I would have to go put a free standing closed sign behind the last car at the end of the long line, then get back to the pumps as fast as I could. Inevitably, some jerk would always pull up to the end of the line and drive around the sign as soon as the line moved forward. Then, like sheep, more would come and follow the same routine. It was impossible to close without the threat of my ass getting kicked every night. It was then, as a teenager, I began to nurture a severe disliking for the general, gas buying, public. Thanks for the memories!

C

Sorry Seamus, that's messed up. So why no self service?

L
laney posted on Sun, Aug 17, 2003 4:36 AM

Yep, I feel your pain Seamus, every night when I call my "LAST CALL" rounds. There are always some people who don't get what, last call, means and want more alcohol! DUH! Just go away. Well, I work in a bar. Last night one guy even refused to leave! I said give him a towel and make him clean, so he left...finally. Idiots!

But, I don't have gas!

S

It's cold and wet here in the winter. Would you want to get out of your car on the way to, say, church, in your sundays best and get soaking wet for $5 worth of unleaded?
Oregonians vote down self service every time it goes on the ballot. We still have cheaper gas on average compared to California and it provides alot of crappy jobs for those brave enough- or dumb enough to do it. No sales tax either!

Gas has shot past 2 bucks a gallon here in San Diego. Cost me nearly $27.00 to fill up the other day and that will last me a week...if I don't put my foot in it too often! Every time this happens I start thinking about trading in my big gas guzzling V-8 for one of those little rice rockets like the ones in "Fast & the Furious" but car dealers would screw me right now on a trade-in. I think I'll stick it out and bum rides to work with my buddy who drives a '70 VW beetle. We all make fun of it until we see him at the gas pump filling up for less than a ten spot.

J

Just unloaded my 82 Buick land yacht last month and bought a Ford Aspire, who is laughing now!!!! I remember the 70's, sleeping in a parking lot in middle of nowhere (panhandle of texas) waiting for a gas station to open so I could get to Houston.

Pages: 1 6 replies