Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum recommendations while traveling in the UK and Iceland

Pages: 1 24 replies

Are there any special rums that I should smuggle home in my suitcase? I live very close to Ontario, Canada, so I can already get Cuban Havana Club. Anything special though, that isn't available here in the US?

R

When I traveled to the UK and Ireland last Spring, I was amazed at the number of Demerara rums available. I am not sure what is available in Canada but in the United States there are few options. I brought home O.V.D. and Woods Old Navy.

The same can be said about Martinique rums. There are a ton of options available in the UK that may not be available in North America.

Rick in Texas

Hi all the way from the sunny UK. (not) I think most Rums here are readily available in the USA. You should look in any large supermarket as they all stock a varied array of alcohol and you may find something a bit different. Some of the supermarkets 'own' brand Rums are not too bad. I am lucky enough to have a really good 'wine shop' nearby (Cambridgeshire) and they stock a really good range of all types of spirits and wines. See the link below. Go to 'take a tour' and have a good look around. It should give you an idea of whats available. You can zoom in on each bottle but takes a bit of getting used to.

http://www.wadsworthwines.co.uk/

Apart from this then it is just a case of looking on the internet. I assume you will be visiting London. Then many places to look at and see what you can find. I assume you will also be calling into Trader Vics. Not been there before but going in two weeks time, and trying to visit a couple of other bars as well.

Hope you enjoy your visit here and let me know if I can help in any other way. Chris

I agree that Woods is a great one to grab. Lambs is another you never see in the US. I would personally stock up on Agricole rums as well.

You know your stuff so I am sure you will find some quality rums to bring home.

I agree with Rick; Wood's 100 (57% navy proof) and OVD (40%) are excellent rich dark demeraras that have no equivalents in North America as far as I know. They are great for mixing but a bit harsh for sipping. Wood's is English, OVD is Scottish and stands for Old Vatted Demerara. Well obviously they're Guyanan, but they are aged in the UK.

Recipe:
Shrunken Heid (based on Shrunken Skull)
1oz lime juice
1oz home-made grenadine
1oz Havana Club Anejo (or another dry gold rum)
1oz OVD (Wood's 100 is good too)

Shake with crushed ice

Enjoy.

R

I see a Shrunken Head in my future.

Rick in Texas

A

First up, if you're coming to the UK Gerrys is a must - it's a shop in London with a great selection. As an FYI it's walking distance from Trader Vics.

Demerara rum wise:

OVD is a strongly flavoured, think like Myers (if it was Guyanese). Lambs is actually surprisingly good considering it's a mainstay in lots of pubs. Woods is good, more overproof flavour & mixable in your Zombies etc.

It's been a while since I've had any of 3 - I discovered El Dorado 8 or Lemon Hart 151 so use them.

Out of the three, for the variety from El Dorado 5 or 8, I'd recommend Woods but if you've got the space try all three.

If you've got the cash, the MountainOfCrushedIce website might give you a few ideas. There have also been a few recent releases of cask aged El Dorado 15 I'm not sure if you have seen but they cost more than the 21 year old.

Agricoles is another option - I prefer Saint James Rhum Vieux for tiki drinks (it's still freely available here) or Trois Riveras Blanc / La Mauny Blanc for ti punch (55°). But there definitely a few types in the UK to check out. I've seen the old teardrop shaped Clement XO available too.

England has a strong gin scene at the moment - not for me but Cotswolds Dry Gin or Caorunn Scottish Gin are both recommended by gin drinking friends.

We also have a range of English bitters that you might not have seen & other European bitters available (like limited edition Bitter Truth, the Spainish firm Droplets or German Ferdinands).

If you are a beer fan, British companies do some cracking modern style IPAs, porters & stouts - Brewdog are the arguably the market leader but my favourite is a company called Beavertown, I rate all their beers really highly & they've got some seasonal ranges that are even better.

I would definitely say there's a few things to whet your appetite! Gerrys in London is the place for a one stop shop & a quick visit to Trader Vics :)

St James is my favorite, and it is no longer distributed in the US. Hors De Age or any of the more expensive versions are what I would be smuggling! :wink:

R

I second the comment about Gerry's. A very friendly staff and a HUGE inventory in a small shop. You could easily spend an hour just looking around.

Another rum that I bought that I forgot to mention was The Duppy Share. I have not opened it as I am stuck between the "I really want to try it" vs "I doubt I will get another bottle."

Rick in Texas

T

On 2016-11-02 08:33, rbeyer68 wrote:
I see a Shrunken Head in my future.

Rick in Texas

That comes with getting older.
All of us have a Shrunken Head in our future.

R
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.