Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

New Horror in Clay Mug on Kickstarter

Pages: 1 0 replies

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1013714773/pseudopod-year-10/

Pseudopod, the world's longest running free short horror fiction podcast, is celebrating its 10th Anniversary and wants to raise funds to pay their narrators. Rewards include an eBook anthology and tiki mug designed especially for the podcast by Horror in Clay.

If you want to find out more about Pseudopod, click through to the campaign page. I thought including the information about the mug would be of most interest to the folks here.

The Pseudopod Tower 10th Anniversary Mug is a 9-inch tiki totem. The production edition funded by this Kickstarter campaign will be around 16-ounces, and will come in a gruesome glaze—purple as the bruises of love. No more than 1,000 will be produced of this 10th Anniversary edition mug.

We'll let Jonathan M. Chaffin of Horror in Clay tell you more about the mug in his own words. Not-so-coincidentally, Jonathan also designed Pseudopod's very first logo and t-shirts:

"The Pseudopod Tower tiki mug (as even I've started calling it) was originally called "The Eye of Kanaloa." (It was only called that in my head, and it didn't catch on.) The front depicts a Kanaloa totem, rare for a tiki mug. In the mythology of the old Hawaiian gods, Kanaloa is symbolized by the squid or by the octopus. He exists in complement to Kane, the god of creation, and guides the way to hidden springs . . . which I thought was appropriately symbolic for the dark places horror writers mine for inspiration. Unique among representations of the old god, statues of Kanaloa have round eyes. According to Kauai tradition, if you could look into the eye of Kanaloa, you would see a mystic pattern and be healed. Peering deep into the eye of OUR Kanaloa may turn out differently . . . there appears to be a fanged, tentacled and clawed beastie inside. Use your own best judgment.

The microphone is a Shure 55 vintage mic similar to the one I used to borrow for narrating.

The obverse of the mug shows one incarnation of Pseudopod Tower—from noxious catacombs beneath to soaring spires and roofs above; existing both in and between worlds. The Tower is composed of as many categories of horror as I could cram together. This mug is one of the truest examples I have ever created of the architectural confusion of pop culture references that is my brain. It is jammed with allusions and homages to horror, tiki, radio, and eldritch lore. Deep in the bowels of Pseudopod Tower, we see the ghastly-organic engines and servers (and beasties) tended by one of our dedicated Slush-masters. What horrors will be brought forth next?"

Limited edition mugs available at the higher donor levels (We have included a limited run of 10 - one for each decade) will be the same size, but will be hand glazed in a multi-step, multi-tone process. All mugs will be high-fired ceramic, food- and alcohol-safe, and ready for you to carry through the darkest dreamscapes and murkiest dungeons.

The mug has already been designed, modeled, sculpted, and molded. We just need to know how many to make.

Thanks for looking!

Pages: 1 0 replies