Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rums available in Michigan?

Pages: 1 5 replies

So, as anyone who lives in Michigan knows, we are kind of limited in which Rums are available for purchase. I've been slowly building my bar up (really it's just a cabinet at this point, but there will be a bar eventually.) and I've been having a hard time find a whole lot of rums, other than Bacardi and the like. I did find a small store that has told me they can order whatever I want for me, as long as it's available here in Michigan.

So my question is, to all my fellow Michiganders, which rums are you buying that are available?

Also, to help anyone else out, I found a .pdf page listing all the available liquors to sell in Michigan, for those that are curious, the Rums start on page 59.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/10302016pricebook_536599_7.pdf

I'm sure you can get Myers' & the Appleton line. Cruzan/flor de cana are good for your white & golds. Then you just need to track down a Demerara like Hamilton or El Dorado & you're good for most tiki drinks. I would recommend ordering some Coruba dark as well.
Hope that helps

Plantation O.F.T.D. Overproof was on that PDF!

Go get some of that!! I tried a thimble full from a bottle they had at False Idol down in San Diego and it was delicious stuff. I'm still waiting for it to pop up in my local stores.

Good catch on that Plantation OFTD, I'm going to be ordering a couple bottles of that later today!

On 2016-11-15 13:16, nicholauslee wrote:

Also, to help anyone else out, I found a .pdf page listing all the available liquors to sell in Michigan, for those that are curious, the Rums start on page 59.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/10302016pricebook_536599_7.pdf

Wow, that's an alarming number of Bacardi products but there are plenty of essentials for a home tiki bar as well. I wouldn't call your situation limited in the slightest. In fact, there are quite a few things on that list I haven't been able to get in Texas.

I would definitely get an Appleton or two (Signature Blend as a versatile mixing rum, Rare Blend if you wanna go a little more premium and make an amazing Mai Tai). Smith & Cross is also a nice choice for a Jamaican but won't work in every drink calling for a Jamaican rum. It's got a lot more of the pot still funk and higher proof.

Cana Brava is my favorite Spanish style (i.e. when a recipe calls for Puerto Rican, Virgin Islands, Cuban, etc) white rum but you can get away with using Flor de Cana or Cruzan if on a tight budget.

For a gold in the same style, you could also go with Flor de Cana or Cruzan's gold options. For a little bit better quality, the Bacardi 8 year is actually phenomenal and the only one of their products I'll allow in my home.

Mt Gay Eclipse is a perfectly fine Barbados rum.

The Plantation line is excellent and also has a Barbados. Definitely grab that OFTD and their pineapple rum (it's great for sipping and daiquiris).

You'll need Pussers if you wanna make a proper Painkiller.

Ron Zacapa is a nice sipping rum.

Diplomatico Reserva is a very tasty rum for mixing or sipping.

For an agricole, you have Clement, Rhum JM and Rhum Damoiseau to choose from. Most of them are gonna be pricey.

I think the only glaring omission in the list is a demerara rum. No El Dorado, Hamilton or Lemon Hart products to choose from. You might wanna send a message to Ed Hamilton to see if he can remedy that. In the meantime, you might be able to get away with using Pusser's in place of a demerara as it has some of the same production techniques and rich flavors. I've never actually put it to the test though.

Thanks a ton for that breakdown mikehooker! That's exactly what I was looking for, a simple breakdown by someone who knows more than me on where to get started. It seemed like every brand I always hear about, Lemon Hart, El Dorado etc., I couldn't find or wasn't available.

Pages: 1 5 replies