Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

trader vics deal - 11/19

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

Dam I want to love Trader Vic’s but they seam to be going down the road that the Kahiki and The Berghoff (Not tiki) went down.
That is the DAM we can make way more money selling stuff with our name on it than actually having and running a restaurant?

Guess it is a good gig if you can pull it off, but too bad to see Trader Vic’s slowly fade away.

On 2016-11-19 20:59, tikiskip wrote:
Dam I want to love Trader Vic’s but they seam to be going down the road that the Kahiki and The Berghoff (Not tiki) went down.
That is the DAM we can make way more money selling stuff with our name on it than actually having and running a restaurant?

Guess it is a good gig if you can pull it off, but too bad to see Trader Vic’s slowly fade away.

Sadly, you’re probably right Skip.
That link is a good deal if you like the Trader’s swag. I do and I have all of that shown except the menehunes. Cost me mo then 75 bucks though
Cheers

T

It's funny/sad to see the newer Kahiki stuff they made at the end of the Kahiki, mind you lots of the stuff at the end they cranked out so fast just to make a buck that it was not all that great.

Anyway the newer not so great Kahiki stuff at times sells for MORE than the old first gen Hoffman pottery mugs do.

It looks like tiki lite or pretty tiki does not really work all that well.

Oh well, at least I got to see many of the great old joints before the were taken away.

AND on the TV new stuff some of the old tiki swag is selling kinda low so for me it's all about the old tiki stuff.
Why buy new when the old rare stuff is out there?

You kind of feel betrayed by the people that did away with the places you love and don't want so much to give them money so they can kill the restaurant and still cash in.
Telling you "I loved the Kahiki when I first saw it, we will miss the Kahiki"

I don't understand the somber and negative tone here. The Trader Vic brand is highly collectible and the mai tai glasses are iconic. They're not something they just invented to cash in. They're offering a set of them in a party pack with a recipe book and other goodies for a reasonable price. What's so bad about that?

Overall their ceramics and glassware are still made well and not outrageously priced. Yes, their apparel and some other custom pieces on the website are seriously askew which was discussed recently in another thread but even the Mai Kai still sells their barrel mug, mara amu and mystery bowl, albeit only in person, not in a webstore these days and they're made of good quality and priced accordingly. I never considered condemning them for that. And I seriously doubt the bars give any concern to what their old collectibles sell for these days when pricing their newly made pieces. They don't make money on the second hand market. If they created this stuff why shouldn't they be able to continue profiting from the legacy if there's still a demand?

I use the Mai tai glasses daily -they do "wipe off" over time so having back ups is good- the mix and book and extras is just bonus time. Glad to see some posts!

be well

tiki tii

T

"What's so bad about that?"
I have many new and old Trader Vic's glasses and the Mai tai glass is the one I use most when serving drinks.
So I too have bought these.
plus that is a good price.

The bad part is when the "stuff" (for the Kahiki it was egg rolls) takes over and the restaurants and bars are then closed and only the stuff is made.
(For The Berghoff it is beer)
But you can no longer go and get a beer at the number 1 liquor License holder in Chicago.
Come on, that's bad right?

"And I seriously doubt the bars give any concern to what their old collectibles sell for these days when pricing their newly made pieces."

One Three Dots mug went from $40.00 bucks to $80.00 when they saw that they were selling on eBay for lots o cash.
So in that case demand did raise the price.

I don't begrudge any business profit, and they have a right to mow the places we love to the ground.

But we also have the right to say wow that sucks.

On 2016-11-20 07:57, sneakyjack wrote:
I use the Mai tai glasses daily -they do "wipe off" over time so having back ups is good- the mix and book and extras is just bonus time. Glad to see some posts!

be well

tiki tii

I have a lot of T V’s glassware. I use soap and water on the inside and kinda rinse the outside since I noticed the “wiping off”
Cheers

T

That is the beauty of this style Mai tai glass you can clean them easy.
Can find the old suck em up type here for cheap.
love the Hukilau event type best.

Maybe there needs to be a Mai tai glass thread.

Winter sucks!
Had to throw in some old man bitchin, was sounding too positive there.
We need an old man shaking fist Emoji.

"The bad part is when the "stuff" (for the Kahiki it was egg rolls) takes over and the restaurants and bars are then closed and only the stuff is made.
(For The Berghoff it is beer)
But you can no longer go and get a beer at the number 1 liquor License holder in Chicago.
Come on, that's bad right?"

....and CHI-CHI's for Salsa. :)

That's OK about the Bitchin' Skip...I don't care for Winter that much anymore. ("Then why the hell do love live in Wisconsin?"-Good Question)
Plus I'm Bitchin" because I had major Knee surgery (total replacement-reconstruction---how'd that HS and College Football thing work out?) in early May and I still can't F'in walk w/o a walker. I'm close though.

[i]On 2016-11-21 03:53, tikiskip wrote:[/i

Maybe there needs to be a Mai tai glass thread

[/quote
I like your idea Skip. If you don’t do it in three weeks or so I'll’ ASSume that it’s okay for me to do it. I have some that I’m real proud of.
It will also let me show the shipping crate-like cabinet that I built to house my Mai Tai glasse’s and others. I’m very happy with how the cabinet came out but I couldn’t figure out where to post the pix.
Cheers

OGR

Nui, The cabinet sounds VERY cool and Skip's thread idea would be a nice (needed) addition.

T

“I had major Knee surgery (total replacement-reconstruction”

I did too like 7 years ago and my knee and back STILL hurt, not enough range of motion to ride a bike even.
Mine did not go well, one leg is longer than the other and that is messin with my good knee.
This may be part of why I’m an old crank now.

nui 'umi 'umi start that thread as I have started too many and don’t want to seem like a thread startin newbie.
I promise I will add what I have that will help it be a productive thread.

It will be a good one.
Heck there are TONS of event Mai Tai glasses.

On 2016-11-22 05:37, tikiskip wrote:

nui 'umi 'umi start that thread as I have started too many and don’t want to seem like a thread startin newbie.
I promise I will add what I have that will help it be a productive thread.

Done.
Mucho mahaloz for letting me kype your idea.

RD

They have a Cyber Monday deal going today.
https://shop.tradervics.com/

Pages: 1 14 replies