Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

"Tongo-hiti" : heard of him?

Pages: 1 8 replies

A friend is writing about a new Atlanta band called Tongo-hiti, whom the band claims is a Polynesian god of headaches.

Anybody know of this deity? A websearch turned up only one hit on a trying-to-be-hip site, according to my writer buddy, who likes to research his stuff thoroughly!

Or can anyone send me to a good site that has extensive listings of gods and their hometowns, so to speak?

T

My Google brought two hits...

One about the band

and trying-to-be Hip Cool Retro Site

According to the first site thier debut is upcoming (8/29)

Yeah, I found those hits too. I'm just trying to find some verification as to Tongo-hiti's actual job description and where he terrorizes his subjects. (Oh, and he's a demon and not a deity. My bad.)

My writer friend was especially interested in how one would fight him off, besides the obvious: avoidance of too many mai tai's.

S

Missed this a long time ago.

Tongo-hiti is now the house band at Trader Vic's Atlanta and played TIki Torch Nights last month.

K
Kono posted on Fri, May 14, 2004 8:26 PM

On 2003-08-17 14:10, Formikahini wrote:
Anybody know of this deity? A websearch turned up only one hit on a trying-to-be-hip site, according to my writer buddy, who likes to research his stuff thoroughly!

No Tongo-hiti in Jan Knapper's Encyclopedia of Myths and Legends of the Pacific. Probably a tiki "neo-deity" much like "Martiki" the Marquesan god of gin and/or vodka or "Coco Joe" the Hawaiian god of resin.

S

Oh, I thought you meant Martiki a minor god on these boards...

K

Is Amy Pike in Tongo-hiti? She rocks! I used to love seeing the Lost Continentals in atlanta and Amy bartending at the Earl!

K
Kono posted on Mon, May 17, 2004 5:44 PM

On 2004-05-17 00:37, Swanky wrote:
Oh, I thought you meant Martiki a minor god on these boards...

Most anthropologists agree that they are one and the same. :wink:

Tongo-hiti are an Atlanta band and did play for the first Tiki Torch Nights in April. They will also play at Torch Nights in June on Friday the 18th. They are great! Mike Geier heads up the vocals and he'll be at Hukilau this year with his uke!

You can also find out more about the band at http://www.kingsized.biz and on the Torch Nights webpage

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2004-05-22 15:49 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies