Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Anyone have some Tapa they are looking to part with?

Pages: 1 4 replies

C
croe67 posted on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 2:14 PM

Aloha!

In early January, we'll be outfitting our new bar - with the assistance of Bamboo Ben.
The plan is for the walls to be covered in bamboo & matting & they'll look awesome. But I'm thinking I might like to incorporate a bit of tapa as well.
I have a little tapa cloth, but not much. And down in Texas, I have yet to run into any in the wild, unfortunately.

So, I thought I'd put out the call to see if anyone here has tapa that they are looking for a good home for, as I know over the years I have seen some posts of tapa finds.

Shoot me a Message if you've got any that you're looking to find a home for :)

Mahalo!!

T

You may know this but Oceanic Arts is the one place to just go and get it now if you get in a bind.
I like the Fijian tapa as it has the small patterns.

Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?q=fijian+tapa&biw=1229&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLy77g7ejQAhXJKiYKHVXQBe8QsAQIGQ&dpr=1.56

Cool a new Bamboo Ben installation! Lucky you. Can't wait to see photos.

I don't have any left over cloth and not sure how much you are looking for but I ended up buying some off eBay recently for a backing on a few frames I want to do. Saw some nice photos on here with cloth as the background and tiki items secured on top with framing all around. It's usually sold by the yard or half yard from what I saw. Just do a search for tapa fabric if you want yard good material, tapa cloth if you are looking for finished items. Occasionally you will see sellers offering the fabric in bulk.

How are you planning on using it?

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-12-19 17:45 ]

C

Thanks, guys!

I do have some nice tapa fabric & I had one of our rattan sets covered in it and looks great!

What I'm looking for is tapa made from paper/trees etc made on the islands. I did have one TCer connect with me & I have some from him I'll be able to use in some smaller areas, which is awesome. :)

I'm looking to use it to cover certain sections of walls. Once Ben gets here, we'll look at the pieces I've got & figure out where it makes sense to use them.

You should call Oceanic Arts. They usually have a large roll of Tonga Tapa. I bought a 10' X 12" section that came off of a roll that was over 100' long. Last time I talked to them they still carried that tapa cloth. I think they require a 10' minimum.

Pages: 1 4 replies