Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Question for Tiki Caliente vets...

Pages: 1 3 replies

My wife and I (new to Tiki culture) are going to try to make it to Tiki Caliente this year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they start selling the wristbands on February 4. Is it difficult to get one of the wristbands? We are thinking that we should plan on buying one early Saturday morning. Is that a good strategy?

Also, Tiki Caliente vets, we are figuring we will check out the event Friday evening and Saturday/Saturday evening. We are most interested in checking out vendors, sampling some of the entertainment, and maybe a room event or two (we are big fans of the cocktails). Do you have any words of wisdom for those of us who will be going to our first event? Thank you in advance!

L

Aloha! Having attended all of them, I guess I'm as qualified as anyone to reply.

I'm not clear on whether you're interested in getting a room there, or just tickets to attend. If it's just ticket, you should have no problem as long as you get them early. Getting a room at Caliente Tropics is a different story. Returning attendees have first choice to get the room they had last year, or upgrades if they're available. This started January 1st (I have already). After that, rooms for people that have not stayed at the event hotel are made available.

Words of Wisdom: To get the most of the event, get a room at the event hotel, or at least a partner facility that will be right next door. That will give you the most flexibility, if you want to shop, enjoy bands, or room crawls, you will be right there to participate as much or as little as you like. Don't be afraid of staying at Caliente, even though the entire facility is dedicated to event attendees, you will be able to sleep or rest as you desire. That is not the case with Tiki Oasis (if you're considering attending that), Oasis is a very different animal.

Get ready for one of the best Tiki events of the year. I agree with Loki, having been to every Caliente as well, try to stay as close to the Caliente Tropics as possible. There are many hotel options within a 5-10 minute walk. Rory limits wristband sales to a limited number to keep the event from being too crowded. Having said that, in past years, there have always been a few wristbands available for sale at the event for those last minute stragglers. The first few years I stayed on property, but as pricing went up I found neighboring hotels sufficient to lay my foggy head. The money I save I use to support the awesome group of vendors that Rory assembles. I recommend getting the event mug, in the past the amazing talents of Doug Horne, John/Janet Mulder and of course Rory's direction culminate to create a rare memento that can only be bought at the event. The musical entertainment always kills it. Some previous standouts are Tikiyaki Orchestra, Kitty Chow and the Fisherman, The Martini Kings, The amazing Spike and The Hula Girls, Marty Lush as "Don Who" and you can't miss the late night lobby bands which was dominated by Jason Lee and the RipTides last year, seriously if he returns again this year don't miss it.

There is usually a Palm Springs excursion to M Modern Gallery, or to the Shag store for a limited gallery release - prints/pins/mugs/bags all incredible art from the brilliance of Josh Agle. While downtown don't miss Bootlegger Tiki - pound for pound the best little tiki bar there, (it's roots are a legendary Don The Beachcomber). Tonga Hut is also a must see...and drink, there is a great speak easy through a secret door, (good luck finding it) the back patio also has a killer/original witco bar. If you favor Mexican food Las Casuelas is always tasty. I never miss a great steak dinner at the best local steak house within walking distance to the host hotel "Lyons", back before they remodeled it was like stepping back in time to a Rat Pack era steakhouse complete with piano and live music. Now it's "Mr Lyon''s and the steaks are still incredible but it lost its old time charm.

Sorry back to the event...Don't miss the room crawls, various attendees devote their creative rooms and tiki recipes to help you attain a great tiki drink buzz late into the wee hours. Always a favorite are the folks at Zen Tiki Lounge that broadcast their Podcast and pour drinks for the lucky guests . The natives vote for best crawl room/drink and sadly I don't remember who won last year but John and Janet Mulder made a standout beverage a few years ago.

It's a totally laid back time to hang at the pool with your new tiki friends during the lazy warm and sometimes just unbearably hot days, and then party the night away making great memories. I look forward to seeing there!

T

We are Caliente virgins, but popping that rum-soaked cherry this year! Looking forward to seeing some of you there

Pages: 1 3 replies